OMG headaches for 4 weeks

Discussion in 'I have dementia' started by kazb, Apr 4, 2016.

1. kazb

kazb Registered User

Aug 1, 2015
    I am on memantine and have been for a few months now as other meds never suited me.
    I am having the worse headaches ever and never go away no matter how many or what painkillers i use. They are so bad. Cannot get appointment to see GP till next friday. HELP

2. Kevinl

Kevinl Registered User

Aug 24, 2013
    Salford
    Is there no way you can talk to the practise manager and explain that the source of your pain may be the medication and get an earlier appointment and that you're taking a lot of pain killers, might work, make them responsible for what's happening.
    In an emergency like yours I'd make them do something, at worse go to A&E and see what they say or phone 111 for help they may realise how serious your problem is, don't wait until the end of the week.
    K

3. ossie10

ossie10 Registered User

Jul 22, 2013
    kasb i have had this sort of thing for over three months now.To frightened to mention it until it became to much.I support workers and cpn made me go to the GP.He doen all the tests and it was nothing more(i know thats bad enough) than stress related headaches.
    Headaches still there but feel alot better about it.If you have support workers etc get them to push it to get you in sooner.

Love Ossie xx

4. Grannie G

Grannie G Volunteer Moderator

Apr 3, 2006
    Kent
    My husband had very strong reactions to the Alzheimer`s medication , so much so we took him off it. It may delay progression but sometimes the quality of life needs to be weighed up seriously.

I`m not advising anything other than to consult with the doctors if this is the right medication to take.

5. Norrms

Norrms Registered User

Feb 19, 2009
    Male
    Torquay Devon
    Hiya, hope this helps, i have been on memantine for years now and never had a headache, please ask to be checked over for any other possible causes, love, Norrms xxxxxxxxxxx

6. kazb

kazb Registered User

Aug 1, 2015
    I phoned again today and explained i am worried because they never go. my actual appointment is next friday, not this friday. they said i can have a gp phone call. What i want to ask is does this seem normal as been on the meds for months now,but i am in so much pain and actually worried something else may be going on here ??.
    Could this be something else concerned with the alzheimer's.I know its not stress related as i dont get stressed i am very laid back and deal with things ok. All help received gratefull for.

7. chick1962

chick1962 Registered User

Apr 3, 2014
    Female
    near Folkestone
    My hubs was terrible on Memantine as it didn't agree at all with him. Headaches and not being able to concentrate at all and it made him drowsy . It's always good to check with GP or memory clinic . His medication got changed to Rivastigmine . Xx

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

8. Owly

Owly Registered User

Jun 6, 2011
    I just read that high ferritin/iron can be a cause of headaches, so maybe get that checked? I hope you find the cause.

9. Mannie

Mannie Registered User

Mar 13, 2014
    Bracknell area
    The COmmunity Psychiatric nurse rfor advice. suggested my parent came off their med for a week..and hey presto , headaches, nausea and dizziness went away after 3 days. She went back on with a reduced dose. The dose had been increased but it took several months before it started to cause problems which is why we did not make the connection initially. You can call your CPN for advice, that is what I did.

10. Mannie

Mannie Registered User

Mar 13, 2014
    Bracknell area
    One other thought, have you double checked that you are drinking enough ....when I get a headache the first thing I do is have a big glass of water....but it actually took me about 35 years to figure out the cause.".......you have probably already thought of dehydration but wanted to mention just in case....