Old TP member reporting in

Mjaqmac

Mar 13, 2004
It's been a long time since I have been on here. I'd like to say hi to all the originals who remember me.

Just to let you know that I have finally come to the end of the complaints procedure about my mother's care in the assessment unit. I eventually got an independent review of the consultant's care which, although there were missing medication records and the fact that the reviewing doctor agreed this place was not really suitable to deal with my mother's physical needs, but there was no other place suitable either in my area, the overall result was the care was satisfactory. (absolute tosh!)

Strange though that this independent medical review also coinsided with the doctor concerned taking early retirement! Mmm! I wonder?

Love to all,
Magic and baby.

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Hello you (and baby). thanks for the update.

How are you?, it's been a long time. Nothing changes here, people still have their problems to contend with, but in the main, we all pull together.

Please keep in touch. Whats the chance of a picture of baby? Love and best wishes,

CraigC

Mar 21, 2003
London
Hi Magic!

Warm welcome and hope all is well with baby :) I can imagine that you have less time on your hands.

kind regards
Craig

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Hi Magic - so nice to see you back on TP, if only on a fleeting visit.

I hope things are going well for you.

the doctor concerned taking early retirement
I don't really believe in coincidence; I'd be inclined to simply say "good thing too!"

We're always delighted to see you here on TP, so do come again!

Nell

Aug 9, 2005
Australia
Mjaqmac said:
Strange though that this independent medical review also coinsided with the doctor concerned taking early retirement! Mmm! I wonder?
Magic and baby.

Many years ago I was part of a group that took "a certain individual" (not in the case a doctor - rather a senior govt. employee) to the Ombudsman, who found in our group's favour.

Within a few weeks the said individual "chose" to take a sea change - moved towns and jobs!! "Just a coincidence" we were told!! ;) ;)

Mjaqmac

Mar 13, 2004
Nell thanks for letting me know. The individual concerned in our case was the absolute queen bee in this field and no one had dared complain before. I managed to get the PM involved at the time. It was exhausting and bothersome fighting on as mum was still alive and I was caring 24/7, but I feel now I can draw a line under it and have some closure at last.

I'd urge anyone with a complaint to make it official as it's the only way to get change and rid ourselves of those who really are not fit to work with dementia sufferers.

On a lighter note I am keeping very well and motherhood is the most fantastic thing that I have every experienced (even if I did have to wait until my 40s to get there!). He's a wee dote, as we say here.

Sorry about my awful spelling but I have had severe baby brian since the wee man was born and am totally exhausted at all times (it's just like being a carer again)

All the very best wishes and a big hug for courage to all of you still battling on the front line.

Magic.

CraigC

Mar 21, 2003
London
Hi Magic,

I understand the brain drain thing - it is the lack of sleep and broken sleep at that. My mum was also the same when dad had his night time wanderings.

I agree that official complaints make a lot of difference. Someone taught me that one word can make all the difference with the NHS/GPs and in fact any government body. Once simple word seems to make all the difference and it has nearly always worked. Whether on the phone or via letter.

Add the word escalate to a sentance. For example.

"How do I escalate this issue"

That single word seems to put the fear of death into the public sector.

Kind Regards
Craig

Last edited: