Old friends

Redpoppy

Jul 31, 2012
Glamorgan s.wales
Strange how things happen.My husband (who has vasc. dementia) and myself had a couple who were very good friends when our children were growing up.After a few years we lost touch,but after 30 yrs they moved to our area.The husbands were apprentices together when they were18yrs old,but unfortunately they both have dementia.The four of us go out together regularily -with the men in the back seat of the car.They get on so well,although neither of them remember things from the past correctly,and we two wives can relax and have our own conversation without the stress of getting them to join in. Some of the situations we as carers used to find frustrating, are now much easier to cope with when we're all together. Makes me realise what a help the organised social meetings are,but both our men are reluctant to join anything,so thank goodness for friends.

Jan 3, 2013
Sidcup
Strange how things happen.My husband (who has vasc. dementia) and myself had a couple who were very good friends when our children were growing up.After a few years we lost touch,but after 30 yrs they moved to our area.The husbands were apprentices together when they were18yrs old,but unfortunately they both have dementia.The four of us go out together regularily -with the men in the back seat of the car.They get on so well,although neither of them remember things from the past correctly,and we two wives can relax and have our own conversation without the stress of getting them to join in. Some of the situations we as carers used to find frustrating, are now much easier to cope with when we're all together. Makes me realise what a help the organised social meetings are,but both our men are reluctant to join anything,so thank goodness for friends.

Sounds to me like you are having a great time with good friends

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
That's brilliant! Nothing like a bit of mutual support and understanding.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
That sounds really nice. How lovely to have that understanding and supportive friendship. It must make you feel less alone. I expect your outings cheer your husbands up too.