Old Films

Alan19531953

Jun 16, 2015
My wife can no longer understand most current TV programs and certainly not any modern films. Tonight we watched an old Norman Wisdom film (a stitch in time) and lo and behold she understood and really enjoyed it. We had a nice evening and a good laugh for once.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
John cannot follow a plot but two films he enjoyed recently were " Naked Gun" which is just silly and "oh what a lovely war" which is touching, silly and has good songs. The latter gave him a few moments to talk of the history involved but it swiftly moves past that and on to the next scenario. The finer points of the politics of course escaped him.

Grey Lad

Sep 12, 2014
North East Lincs
My wife can no longer understand most current TV programs and certainly not any modern films. Tonight we watched an old Norman Wisdom film (a stitch in time) and lo and behold she understood and really enjoyed it. We had a nice evening and a good laugh for once.

Thanks for this Thread Alan. You have started me thinking about how we can use our video player again. Lots of videos around that are being virtually given away.

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
Pete went through a stage of watching Natural History documentaries and nothing else-but at least they kept him occupied. All was well until he thought the big cats/rhinos etc were going to attack him.:(

I'm glad your wife enjoyed the films-long may it last. Perhaps look out for 'oldies' that are given away with some of the weekend papers?

Take care

Lyn T XX

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I bought DVDs of Only Fools and Horses and Dad`s Army for my husband , also some by Andrea Bocelli . They helped him through when the actual programmes were too difficult for him to follow.

He would start laughing at the comedies even before anyone said a word.

meme

Aug 29, 2011
London
My mother used to love watching "The African Queen" any time it was on tv and she had it on tape also! Lovely to hear you both laughed at Norman Wisdom. I saw Dennis Wheatleys "The Devil Rides" out on the horror channel a few evenings ago, it was very good.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
William travelled a lot until it got too much for him. So he loved travel documentaries. All the Michael Palin ones. But as he also loved history, he also loved one called Around the World in 80 Treasures - can't remember the guy's name, although I could have nearly recited it! - it was a box set. And he loved nature and wildlife documentaries too. We had a huge collection of dvds - all the BBC ones. And he really enjoyed James Herriot's All Creatures Great and Small - I got a complete box set of that for him. He loved it, and could understand that.

I also got recordings & dvds of music stars that he loved or would have been familiar with from his youth. John McCormack, who he remembered his grandparents playing, and Frank Patterson, the Irish Tenor. Kept him happily occupied every evening, as long as I sat with him and watched too.