Old dogs, new tricks and friends ...

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
[Jan weaned me off using my Access card to pay my Barclaycard....]

AAAAAaggggghhhh :D..... the flexible friend that paid for everything you ever wanted from HMV :) then bit you on the bum when the statement arrived ........ :rolleyes:

Brucie, are you aware APACs are planning to withdraw cheques within 18 years? ... There will be no more writing one out three days before pay-day knowing there is clearance time to ‘rob Peter to pay Paul’ ... and no hope for me ever happily punching out numbers again on an MICR encoder???? :(:D

BTW, folks, love how this thread has drifted!!!!:D:D:D

Kaz, x

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Skye said:
love your pic of the machine room Bruce. We rarely saw ours,
Ah well, as an operator, and working shifts for 5-6 years, I saw all too much of the computer suites.

Mind you, my Jan and Nina [and Nina's husband Geoff] were working in Input/Output at the place so things were magic. The people in computing in those days were an amazing lot - Merchant Navy, Nurses, and a lot more.

Prior to entering the industry, as a 17 year old schoolboy, I was given programming aptitude tests by the likes of IBM, ICT [later renamed ICL then later still, Fujitsu], Burroughs and NCR.

Both IBM and ICT recommended that I forget about a career in computing as I was so dire on the tests.

39 years later I officially left the business, so I guess I had the last laugh - I outlived ICT!

we'd stay the night
our systems had to run 24/7 but the University of London Atlas was part owned [and operated] by BP. They ran hours long linear modelling programs all night but we operators had to be there in case they finished early. That was how I learned to play Canasta!