Olanzapine

MReader

Apr 30, 2011
essex
Has anybody come across the drug Olanzapine?
It has been suggested by the local Dementia Trust that it be prescribed for my husband to help with his depression & anxiety.
He has not been seen by them and has been recommended by their consultant over the phone.
I have been looking on line & it seem to say that it should not be given to people with dementia.
Any comments would be very gratefully received - Thanks

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
I usually ask at the pharmacy if I'm not sure about any medication, you can phone them if you don't live near,

malc

Aug 15, 2012
north east lincolnshire
denise is on mitazipine for anxiety and it can also be used for depression,wikipedia does say not to give olanzapine to the elderly with dementia because of risk of strokes,they give a black box warning and it also says doctors in the uk have been ignoring this warning,scary,watch what the gp prescribes comes to mind.

jawuk

Jan 29, 2014
Lutterworth, Leicestershire
It has been suggested by the local Dementia Trust that it be prescribed for my husband to help with his depression & anxiety.
He has not been seen by them and has been recommended by their consultant over the phone.
I have been looking on line & it seem to say that it should not be given to people with dementia.

I found this article on Patient.co.uk which is very informative:

http://www.patient.co.uk/doctor/Rapid-Tranquilisation.html

MReader

Apr 30, 2011
essex
Thanks

Thanks for your replies - our GP has over-ruled the psychiatrist & has prescribed my husband Fluoxetine (aka Prozac). He has been on it only a couple of days so I will be interested to see what happens - although our GP did say to ring him urgently if I see any worrying signs of anything - scary!!!

Chuggalug

Mar 24, 2014
Norfolk
Thanks for your replies - our GP has over-ruled the psychiatrist & has prescribed my husband Fluoxetine (aka Prozac). He has been on it only a couple of days so I will be interested to see what happens - although our GP did say to ring him urgently if I see any worrying signs of anything - scary!!!

I think I might melt if a GP told me that! Thank God he cares enough to offer to help, though, aye. There are sites online which explain side effects to look out for. Hope your hubby never gets any and that the meds do him some good.

littleman

Nov 12, 2014
My wife has been prescribed olanzapine as she was becoming aggressive in her behaviour.
She is on a very small dosage 2.5mg on the morning and then at night. It has worked in subduing her aggression and she is now a lot calmer.
I hope you get some respite from this, it seems to be common with AD patients.
Good luck and keep strong and positive

stephencadams

Dec 2, 2014
My Wife is on Olanzapine

My Wife has been on Olanzapine for some three-four years.
She researched the medicine and suggested it to the GP, as she was feeling so tired with the proscribed tranquilisers.

She is much calmer now, but it requires an increase in the dose as time passes.

On the whole it is a good thing, with precautions about not taking it if there is a problem with any of the internal organs.
:)