OH taking risperidone and getting worse

Guzelle

Aug 27, 2016
Sheffield
OH has been taking risperidone for 6 weeks and he seems to be more confused and his memory is worse. His paranoia is better and he is not angry anymore. Has anyone had experience of this?

Hellyg

Nov 18, 2014
Midlands
My husband takes it. Perscribed to combat repetitive thinking and also aggression. It has really helped with this. Thinking about yes I think it has probably progressed his dementia symptoms and also his desire to do things, which is now non stop existent. However on balance there was no other choice as the repetitive thinking was making him stressed and the aggression I could not cope with.

Last edited:

Lilyies

Jan 2, 2019
Hello Guzelle
Risperidone has worked wonders for my hubby, he has been on it for nearly a year now . At first he was very tired and slept most of the time . We had a honeymoon period where things were so much better, enjoyed going for walks had new found energy and seemed so much more alert to day to day stuff. Alas , he has become more confused now and tires very quickly , but the anger is much less . Paranoia is returning and he worries about the future .

Guzelle

Aug 27, 2016
Sheffield
It had made him easier to live with as he was getting unmanageable because of the aggression. He has been going steadily down hill since April 18, but has seemed worse lately.

Lilyies

Jan 2, 2019
I so agree with you Hellyg , in my experience of risperidone the positives so out weighed the negatives . After coping for a year or so with utter nightmare behaviour and complete change of personality. Without dought Risperidone has given back some kind of normality .

Lilyies

Jan 2, 2019
Things seem to be changing now and hubby is now so much more aware that things are not right. He constantly says he feels wobbly, mixed up, he says he sees imagines of places in the past and drifts off there. He can’t cope being in the house on his own, it enhances the paranoia, he has no confidence in his own thinking anymore , he needs reassuring all the time , It’s all so very sad and must be very scary for anyone suffering with this condition.

Guzelle

Aug 27, 2016
Sheffield
My OH also hates being alone, has done for a few years now. He does sleep a lot but now seems unable to do much and stares a lot. He does still go for walks but short term memory is getting much worse and looses everything all the time. His paranoia was getting bad accusing me of having affairs even telling me the support worker told him. Aggressive behaviour shaking his fist at me.

This had stopped since taking the risperidone and he has gradually become calmer and less agitated also! Not sure how long it will last though?