Oh for a good night's sleep

run4fun

Mar 22, 2018
Hi everyone - I've just joined this forum (recommended by a CPN). My 93yr old dad is now living with myself and my husband -his dementia is moderate to severe- it's been a steep learning curve but at the moment the main problem is dad's sleeping pattern. He insists on going to bed usually between 7.30-8.30pm (which in some ways is good as it gives us a bit of time together in the eve) but he is getting up and fully dressing during the very early hours. Last night it was 12.15am (I got him undressed and back to bed but no idea how long for). Fortunately, so far, he has been falling back to sleep in the chair and mostly not wandering around. Anyone else had/or has this problem and any tips?

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
Fairly common afraid, but it does pass. I found that I got used to it and at first caught up with some sleep by having a nap on the sofa in the afternoon and then with the help of baby monitors,I started to sleep through my mum's nocturnal activities knowing that she was safe, but I had to stop her getting into the kitchen area which meant having a specially designed gate fitted to the larger than average door space.