Oh dear...

The Chewtor

Feb 6, 2016
Gillingham, Kent
I was feeling a bit peekish this afternoon, so went to the cupboard and got a packet of crackers and some cheese. When trying to open the cracker packet i found that it had no little tear round tag. I spun the packet in my hands and stared at it accusingly for about 10 minmutes unable to fathom how i was supposed to open it. Eventually i gave up and threw them back in the cupboard (crumbs now!!) and had just cheese ( not good i know). Couple of hours later it suddenly came to me that i could just 'open the end'. Obvious. But why was it not obvious earlier. Brains eh.... who needs 'em?

Catch ya later

Wayne
ps - I was going to only put this in the blog as it seems such a stupid thing to do but it also amused me so I thought put it here as well so sorry for double posting :eek:

Aisling

Dec 5, 2015
Ireland
I was feeling a bit peekish this afternoon, so went to the cupboard and got a packet of crackers and some cheese. When trying to open the cracker packet i found that it had no little tear round tag. I spun the packet in my hands and stared at it accusingly for about 10 minmutes unable to fathom how i was supposed to open it. Eventually i gave up and threw them back in the cupboard (crumbs now!!) and had just cheese ( not good i know). Couple of hours later it suddenly came to me that i could just 'open the end'. Obvious. But why was it not obvious earlier. Brains eh.... who needs 'em?

Catch ya later

Wayne
ps - I was going to only put this in the blog as it seems such a stupid thing to do but it also amused me so I thought put it here as well so sorry for double posting :eek:

I don't know how to access blogs. Do tell please. Aisling

Suzanna1969

Mar 28, 2015
Essex
I swore at a roll of clingfilm yesterday. It was being unhelpful. I called it a bad word. I wouldn't worry too much.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I open crackers with a knife. I just slide it through the paper at the end of the pack. In fact I open all biscuits this way.

My grandmother used to get so frustrated opening packets and jars. I`m now getting just like my grandmother. :)

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
I don't know how to access blogs. Do tell please. Aisling

Right mouse click on the person's forum name (on the left between the date and and registered user) select "open" that takes you to the person's profile, on the left you can view their posts and blogs etc.
K

aprilbday

Jan 27, 2016
Washington, DC USA
It is that connection piece that is the problem with me. Not being able to connect the dots right away. Not always but random times like what you just described Wayne

The Chewtor

Feb 6, 2016
Gillingham, Kent
Type

Wayne-what type of dementia do you have? Your situation describes some of my moments!!

I have vascular and alzheimers April but not really know which kind of symptoms relate to which. it is just 1 mess to me :D
How you cope with that AND your other toubles I cannot fathom, even if i did not have fathoming troubles!!!;)

wayne x

LoisJean

Jan 11, 2016
Northeast Lower Michigan, USA
"Oh dear", is right! Yesterday I came home from the grocery store. Hubby helped me bring in the bags and then he went to where he lives. I put all the stuff away except for the chicken breasts, the mushroom soup and a can of whole mushrooms. I tear off a sheet of tin foil and get out a baking tray. So far, so good. I'm not thinking nothing about nothing..just doing what I've done for umpteen years. I leave the kitchen to do something else for a few minutes, return to kitchen and then.....

...I'm staring at the tin foil..I have no clue what I'm supposed to do with it. I just stand and stare at it ...I try to correlate it to the baking tray, the chicken and the rest but I just can't get the handle on it. I began to sense the gnawing of worry-maybe a subtle panic?) start in my mind. I am trying to think, and it's not working. I just felt so terribly unsure. It was if the entirety of my life was all about the things on that kitchen counter and I couldn't remember what i was supposed to do with any of it. I kept looking around for clues. Then I turned around and left.

I turned on the tv- sat and watched some. Went back to kitchen and on the other counter next to the coffee pot was a bag of noodles...it was like a blast into my brain.. :eek:CHICKEN AND NOODLES-NEED TO BAKE CHICKEN..:eek: It was like a big gust of wind blew through my brain. So, after 30 minutes of pure confusion I was able to start the familiar process for my dinner.

This is only one example of many experiences like this. I don't get bored--they always come dressed up in different clothes. I guess I can be grateful that I can at least I know I'm having them...the day may come soon enough when I won't know at all, and then I might not even care.

(Lucky for me, I made enough casserole for 10 people. I don't have to concern myself about what to do with foil for awhile:D)

Peace and that in abundance, to us all Lois Jean

LoisJean

Jan 11, 2016
Northeast Lower Michigan, USA
It is that connection piece that is the problem with me. Not being able to connect the dots right away. Not always but random times like what you just described Wayne

After reading so many posts from folks with the different types of dementia and those caring for them, I find I can relate my vascular dementia symptoms to some of the other symptoms people express about themselves. I have to be cautious not to interpret too much into them, tho. My thinker is already overloaded. Its like the man, (Wayne), says: "..it is just 1 mess to me". In fact, that's what I'm going to tell my doctor at next visit when he asks me, "How are you doing?" LoisJean

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
chicken breasts, the mushroom soup and a can of whole mushrooms.
CHICKEN AND NOODLES-NEED TO BAKE CHICKEN

Well along with a laugh I got a new recipe although I won't be using Tinned Mushrooms, horrible slimy things and at least twice the price of fresh ones (here in the UK that is).
K

aprilbday

Jan 27, 2016
Washington, DC USA
Lois Jean!
Hilarious!
Was it wrong for me to laugh so hard at that post? I apologize if it is. Some of the laughter was from my understanding that ..."it's ok. I'm ok. Everything is alright. She does this too. ..."
So forgive my laughter. My first couple of these similar issues caused me tremendous alarm and just overwhelming fear. Now--I realize it's not going to kill me...at least not today...not next week....and I have accepted the randomness of it enough to laugh sometimes.
That was a good story and now I want some noodles! I bet they were good. I absolutely LOVED how you just went to watch TV! Cracked me up. Chicken...noodles...!!!!
Thanks !!!

aprilbday

Jan 27, 2016
Washington, DC USA
Wayne-
For sure I am a mess!!! I walk on crutches and now I also wear a neck brace. I literally look like I have been in a car wreck! Good thing I have a chair on wheels at work, and I roll the heck out of it every day. Lol. I leave work as soon as possible ince the day is over, use my motor scooter to "walk" my dog around one or a half neighborhood block, turn on my warm electric blanket and get in bed. I was trying to figure out how I am able to keep going. I will be 62 next year April 2017. I am hoping to hold out until then. I will be able to do early retirement at that time. I hope I can live on that small amount.
With my spinal bones caving in on my arm and leg nerves some days can be very hard!!
Here's what I wonder. In the later stages of dementia, will I remember the pain each day? Wouldn't it be cool to not remember that you are in pain? But maybe not.

aprilbday

Jan 27, 2016
Washington, DC USA
Wait. I am so confused. I just read this same story ...or did I? It seems I commented on this story on another post. I never remember reading it.
H-e-l-p?

BillBRNC

Jan 26, 2016
USA NC
April, I'm glad I'm not the only one who did it. Just two days ago, I was reading down a topic that seemed interesting, then on the second or third page of replies I saw a reply from me. I didn't recall at all having written it, and the contents were nowhere in my mind, and I had no recollection of having read any of the replies in the topic. Then I saw that I had written my reply just the day before. Hard to believe, but true it is for us Alz folks. I don't even care about the memory stuff anymore. I care much more about the behavior, agitation, anxiety, anger, build up of pressure, and all that good stuff that happens when there is confusion or noise or chaos around me in any form. That stuff I don't like, because my wife ends up catching it. Who cares what happened yesterday, or what might happen tomorrow. I'm just getting through today, and that fills me up just fine. Good luck to us all. Bill.

aprilbday

Jan 27, 2016
Washington, DC USA
"Who cares what happened yesterday, or what might happen tomorrow. I'm just getting through today, and that fills me up just fine."

L⭕️⭕️⭕️VE THAT!

The Chewtor

Feb 6, 2016
Gillingham, Kent
I am sooooo glad that I come on hear and read all you guys. used to to think I was going mad now I realise I am just going normal. well our normal anyway ;)

wayne

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MonkeyFeet