Oh brother

Marnie63

Dec 26, 2015
Hampshire
Do you think she might have itchy skin Tin? Would it be worth trying an antihistamine? Just a thought, maybe it's just a habit rather than a feeling for her.

I've had enough of this extreme heat now - I'm taking a formal siesta every afternoon as I need it. Here mum seems to be drinking OK. I try to match every cup of tea I give her with a full glass of water, so it's been two teas and two glasses so far. But I have to keep giving her the glass otherwise she would stop after two sips. She loves blueberries at the moment and keeps asking for them, so need to keep a stock in.

I'm having some success by wrapping a small incontinence sheet around mum's bottom, under the nightie, both night and day. At least this saves me doing a difficult nightie change on the bed when I'm on my own. The No 11 with the new big booster pad worked last night, though doesn't every night. I really hope that the urine output evens out a bit once the hot weather passes as the current situation can be quite challenging. In a way, even though it's hard, I prefer doing the changes on my own now as I can do them at my own pace, and my own way, rather than having an agency carer involved. I really struggle if someone doesn't do something exactly how I want (as in care for mum), but I am getting better at making sure they do! They never seem to do it quite as well as I do, but then it is my mum. She seems to like the heat though, so that's good.

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
No itchy skin Marnie, have the creams to deal with that and every night I rub in an emulsifying cream. Her legs are in better condition than mine. Its a sight that has to be seen! Almost like she is straightening stockings on her legs. Also 'folding' trouser hems as if she is going to put boots on and tuck trousers in. Then the crossing of the knees-she is doing this in the wheel chair now. I noticed all this last week, but then it was just once or twice, now it is every time she sits down.

Mum just will not drink and my prompting seems to make her more determined not to. She will have her mug of tea in the mornings and then I have some success getting her to drink a cup of coffee with biscuits at 11, but absolutely refuses the lunch time drink and I have tried to get her to take this before I serve lunch. Yesterday she just poured it on to the floor. She has had a pint of jelly today and I am about to give her a bowl of watery soup. To paraphrase " It's liquid Jim, but not as we know it"

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
Having one of those hiccup moments. Mum has been very sleepy since she got up at 8a.m . We have been out for coffee at our local garden centre, but she drank and eat very little and kept nodding off at the table. now fast asleep, a deep sleep, in an arm chair, so lunch not had yet. I don't think she slept much last night, in fact not sure she has had much sleep lately with all the leg moving and not having any covers on her, she kicks or pulls them off to get to her lower legs. I put bed socks on her last night, but these were off almost as soon as I left her bedroom. and so naturally feeling cold, winter woollen tights will be worn in bed from now on.

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
Night time leg activity now a part of bed time. Trying to get to her lower legs to stroke or cross her knees and as I sit here, mum is sleeping in her arm chair and trying to cross her knees!! Have considered a few things for Winter and this worries me, especially as she removes duvet and blanket and I find her every morning uncovered.. Had thought about a sleeping bag and attaching shoulder straps to it, but really think my best bet is to put extra clothing on her, already going to bed with woollen tights on under her normal night wear. All she seems to want to do now is stroke her lower legs, day and night.

Her mobility during the day is not great and she looks like she has no idea what she is doing, just moving around aimlessly, blank look on her face. Getting her to drink is still a task and so I have upped the jellies, sorbets and melons and every meal has water added. Yesterday I gave her a fruit squash made with hot water, in the end I was forced to give this to her from a bowl with a spoon and she slurped it up, all of it, I really think that drinking from a cup means nothing to her now.

Jale

Jul 9, 2018
Night time leg activity now a part of bed time. Trying to get to her lower legs to stroke or cross her knees and as I sit here, mum is sleeping in her arm chair and trying to cross her knees!! Have considered a few things for Winter and this worries me, especially as she removes duvet and blanket and I find her every morning uncovered.. Had thought about a sleeping bag and attaching shoulder straps to it, but really think my best bet is to put extra clothing on her, already going to bed with woollen tights on under her normal night wear. All she seems to want to do now is stroke her lower legs, day and night.

Her mobility during the day is not great and she looks like she has no idea what she is doing, just moving around aimlessly, blank look on her face. Getting her to drink is still a task and so I have upped the jellies, sorbets and melons and every meal has water added. Yesterday I gave her a fruit squash made with hot water, in the end I was forced to give this to her from a bowl with a spoon and she slurped it up, all of it, I really think that drinking from a cup means nothing to her now.

Apologies if this sounds odd but would thermal long legged pants (sorry can't think of the right name for them) be any help to your mum?

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
Apologies if this sounds odd but would thermal long legged pants (sorry can't think of the right name for them) be any help to your mum?

No apology needed, not odd. Last week I ordered two pairs from Damart and they arrived this morning - called Long Johns - For Winter though I really think it would be better with thick woollen tights as well, at least her feet will be covered. At the moment I put socks on her, but somehow she manages to remove these.

Last night I tried to position her duvet and blanket in a different way, hope this makes sense, I put her blanket across her bed so she was laying on top of half and the other half over her with duvet on top, Guess what, last night was the night she decided to wet the bed!!! So all that did was increase my wash load this morning and it was a big wash load! So will not be doing that again and for the same reason, this is why I will not try my sleeping bag plan.

Rolypoly

Jan 15, 2018
Need to catch up but before I do, what about a onesie. They are supposed to be really warm and if you think she will fiddle with the zip she can wear it back to front . If you did this you would have to get one without feet otherwise your mum won’t know whether she’s coming or going!

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
Need to catch up but before I do, what about a onesie. They are supposed to be really warm and if you think she will fiddle with the zip she can wear it back to front . If you did this you would have to get one without feet otherwise your mum won’t know whether she’s coming or going!

Hi Roly, we have a onesie and she does wear it sometimes, she is not too keen though and for me it is a bit of a battle putting it on and taking it off! In fact tonight I am going into battle and putting it on her.

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
Hi Roly,

So much in the article that describes my mum's behaviour, especially the night time, same problems here. I no longer use bed pads, just the mattress protector sheet, which has a soft cotton top. It is the weirdest thing to see and as it is not constant, I can to some extent ignore it. She too, rolls up her trouser legs then strokes up to her knees and like the first description, with all the activity at night, mum is so slow and can hardly walk upright during the day. Like them I do look at it as some form of exercise, just wish it did not tire her out for day time activities

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
Hoping it would make you feel less alone.
It does, just hoping that it does not go to the extremes described in it, although something else in common, but not quite the same, Mum does tend to bend forward a lot when she is sitting in her armchair, generally does this when tired and falls asleep. Of course I move her further into the seat and she just moves herself to the edge again.

In the last 4 years mum has exhibited all the known mental disorders while suffering dementia - which of course makes sense.

Now in bed and unfortunately I could not get her into the onesie, so tights and jumper tonight. She was active just after I put her in bed and it will not be long before duvet is off her. Enough clothing on her to keep her warm.

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
Don't think I have ever been more stressed than I have this weekend. Mum is now so unsteady on her legs and yet she is still walking around and I get up to keep her steady, but its all day long! She fell on Friday, does not seem to be aware of where she is putting her feet. I know the answer is for her to use the zimmer frame we have, but she won't and I keep putting it in front of her, all she does is move it out of her way.

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
Poor mum, she has an infection and is on anti biotics, 2 days into a 7 day course. Noticed unusual and confused behaviour at the weekend, so off we went to see nurse at gp surgery. Problem now is that she has not stopped talking all day and now while in bed, not even sure if she is asleep, been in bed for 3 hours and she is chattering away to herself. I am going to bed soon, so think I will take my ear plugs with me, although I am very tired today I will probably be able to sleep without them.

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
Thinking of you @Tin and hoping you’re getting some rest xx

Not much, in between snoring she was talking and of course it was the same sentence over and over. That plus her leg activity, wow what a night. It is hard to believe how an infection can affect someone with Dementia, but it does. Mobility this morning was bad I could not get her up to use the commode. Had to sit her on bed and change pad as best I could. This will be a wheelchair day to get her to the car and then into surgery.

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
Not having a great time with mum. Been on anti biotics for 5 days. She is very sleepy and just cannot stand to walk, gravity just pulling her down, active bowels too. Really hoping all of this is down to infection. Giving her something very watery to eat every hour, because I cannot get her to drink straight from a cup. Getting her to stand up every half hour and change seats, its hard though. Got the commode in the sitting room next to her chair and she is wearing maxi night time pads. Not sure there is anything more I can do until this infection shows signs of clearing. Does look like we may be housebound for a few days.