Oh brother

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
So right Lavender. Now I know and if anyone questions it I now how a story to tell!

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
Just a moan, mum moans nearly all and every day, so think I can have a little one on the internet. These days she seems to wake up in a crabby mood, does not like anything, dog and I really hate it!

My house is dirty, not just untidy but downright dirty. Housework is impossible at the moment, as soon as I tidy up, mum is doing her version of tidy up and just making more mess. Cobwebs are building up, door handles, skirting boards and parts of walls are really grubby and my windows when the sun shines I can see how bad they are! It took me 2 hours to vacuum the whole house yesterday. Yes I have tried a cleaner, but she has given up, if fact I have not heard or seen her for over a month! I leave messages for her but so far no contact. She was not that good, but at least it was something. So for the time being I am trying to get on top of things.

Oh dear my poor house!

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hi Tin
I remember when looking after dad that I kept his house spotless, with the help of a lovely cleaner I admit, but we all know what can happen each day to mess up the whole place (yep, you describe it well) - yet my own home was a tip, as I didn't live with him, just spent the days there and couldn't face housework when I went to my own home
so I really get what you mean - and actually, although a messy, dirty environment can be ignored most of the time, it starts to get to you and sap energy
I did mean to be sympathetic when I started this post - it doesn't seem to be reading that way!
is there any chance of getting a new cleaner in - I do appreciate that means more arranging for you in the short term - AgeUK have some services
https://www.ageuk.org.uk/services/in-your-area/home-help/
and though it will take money, might you treat yourself to have in one of those companies who do a 'spring clean' so you can then pick after them, rather than start from scratch

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
Just a moan Shedrech,. my track record with ladies that clean is not great. So for the time being I will do it myself, at least until next year. Have made one concession though, found a window cleaning and he is coming next week.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
moan away Tin
can't help offering some suggestions - though I'm not so ready to take my own advice - my windows haven't been cleaned since I moved in (and I'm not telling you how many years ago that was!)

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
Had to 'bite the bullet' today and buy a 2nd commode. Could not get one from community bank and Red Cross could not help me. Mum's toilet issues are not improving and life would be a little easier for me if I had one in the bathroom. Stocked up on rubber gloves as well.

Emailed my siblings and told them no Christmas presents this year except wine and a box of chocolates!

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
Had a really bad night with mum and her bowel movements, finished cleaning her room 5 minutes , washing machine still going though.

Am now waiting for a telephone call from gp surgery and ready to blast them. Constantly in touch with them, 4 appointments in 3 weeks, 2 no calls even though they have been booked. I cannot work out why they have not given me something to 'bulk out' the bowel movements a little. Spoke to nurse at incontinence clinic and she gave me some general advice and what to say to gp today.

Even if we are dealing with bowel cancer, hospital appointment next week to find out what is going on, The gp should be able to prescribe something to help. It is too much and I cannot begin to tell you where I am finding, lets call it 'splash back'. Also I have 2 old fashioned rubbish bins outside full of clothes soaking in napisan!

Sorry people, just had to have a huge moan about all this!!

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
what a pickle, Tin
I hope you are listened to when the call comes
and that you get a chance to put your feet up for a while

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
what a pickle, Tin
I hope you are listened to when the call comes
and that you get a chance to put your feet up for a while

No call yet Shedrech and its 2.30. As far as I am aware afternoon surgery starts at 3p.m, I have tried calling the surgery just to make sure I am on the telephone list. 2 previous booked telephone consultations did not happen and when I asked at reception what happened to these, they said that I may have got it wrong or misunderstood! so blame put thoroughly on me!

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
Anyone out there have thoughts about Farley's Rusks? Apart from high sugar content. Am thinking about giving these to mum. Got other ideas for breakfast, but wanted to start with Rusks.

Reason for trying other things, mum has very loose bowel movements and I am trying to bulk them up a little.

Batsue

Nov 4, 2014
Scotland
What about Ready Brek, I believe that it is high in soluble fibre which absorbs liquid from the digestive system.

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
What about Ready Brek, I believe that it is high in soluble fibre which absorbs liquid from the digestive system.

Thanks for that suggestion and information. I had not even thought of ready brek! So that's one item on my shopping list.

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
Not sure whether this might help, but bananas are meant to block things up if you follow

All porridge, not just ready brek contains large amounts of soluble fibre I think

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
Not sure whether this might help, but bananas are meant to block things up if you follow

All porridge, not just ready brek contains large amounts of soluble fibre I think

Will look into porridge v ready brek. About an hour before mum goes to bed she has half a banana and the other half when she wakes, maybe I should increase this to two a day.

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
At first glance, it seems the difference is that ready brek is finer with added vitamins and of course sugar. Do not know about fibre content yet, will have to read the packets and compare.

We are at a point where I have to consider and alter her diet, less and more often now with a change in the consistency. It is easier for her to use a spoon these days which means just using one hand, a knife and fork confuses her and she tends to pick up food with just the knife or fingers. Only occasionally does she use a fork. Also noticing that she chews a lot and does not swallow all the time, but this may be due to top denture, I think it is a little loose so we are back to using a fixative.

All the little changes are sometimes difficult to spot, but food is definitely becoming an issue.

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
Been a year since I cut off mum's cigarette supply and yet I am still finding half smoked cigs and stubs in various clothes and drawers, some of these were obviously not put out completely, evidence of scorching. At the time when she was smoking I was so vigilant and I thought I knew all her hiding/putting away places, most of the time she would put them behind her ear, in flower pots, in sink and toilet or her purse, but never for one second did I think she would put them between pillow cases in airing cupboard. Thankfully her smoking days are over, but wonder how many more areas will I find these things.

Lavender45

Jun 7, 2015
Liverpool
I have to admire your mum's sheer inventiveness Tin!

You've done really well getting your mum off the cigarettes. You must have needed eyes in the back of your head trying to monitor consumption and disposal. X

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
I have to admire your mum's sheer inventiveness Tin!

You've done really well getting your mum off the cigarettes. You must have needed eyes in the back of your head trying to monitor consumption and disposal. X

At the time, yes Lavender I did. Every time I lit a cigarette for her, my eyes were on her. She hardly ever used the ashtray to dispose of spent ones and other times she was putting half smoked ones out with her fingers and these were the ones that she was putting away to smoke later. I reached my limit of patience when she would just drop them on the carpet to put out with her foot. By that time I was only giving her about 5 a day and so I just stopped. She sometimes asked me for one but I resolutely refused.

lubyloo

Feb 9, 2015
Worc's
Tin you poor thing, you are obviously exhausted and quite rightly so, do hope it all clears up before the docs appt.