Officially a Poo-storm carer

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
During the past years of Paulines advancing Alzheimer’s there have been occasions when she has had toilet accidents and she has always tried to clean up any mess and indeed herself and to be honest not too bad. Yesterday however, just 48 hours aftern coming home, she suddenly developed awful diarrhoea and it just poured out of her. Luckily it happened in the bathroom but even there a nightmare for me to get her clean and the room clean then get her back to her bed and commode downstairs. To be honest I have never witnessed such a bowel reaction . As I was worried I slept on the couch at the foot of her bed but at 1.00am I failed to hear her get out of bed but the crash as she fell to the floor shook everything. I was so shocked and upset to see her lying on the floor with her bowels seemingly endlessly just ejecting the mess. Given I cant lift her up I pressed the alarm to alert the company I pay through social services to use for falls, and I felt so sorry for the guy who came. He not only got her upright by way of an inflatable but helped me get her into the bathroom and shower as she was distraught at being so dirty. Anyway, I got her cleaned and wrapped in my dressing gown and back onto the couch as mattress was a mess. She then slept while I cleaned, mopped and got the washing machine going and by then dawn was breaking. Later the doctor phoned me back and suspected it was coming off the super antibiotic she had been on in hospital. Bowels and waterworks seem ok now but she just sleeps and twitches although temperature fine. My daughter, a community nurse, messaged me to crown me with the official title. Wow!

Banjomansmate

Jan 13, 2019
Dorset
Oh goodness Agzy. I was going to say that was a baptism of fire but........!

Hope you both have a more peaceful day today.

Andrew_McP

Mar 2, 2016
South Northwest
Ah, the club no 24/7 carer wants to join, but we all do eventually.

I use one of these motion detectors to let me know when Mum's awake and potentially trying to get out of bed. It's saved me many times... and woken me up repeatedly for nothing serious many, many times. But while things are settling down you might find something similar useful. The noise-making part plugs into a socket near you and the battery unit you leave pointed at the bed. Batteries seem to last forever.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Known in our house as a Poo-nami..........
Well done for sorting it out. Both you and the guy who came in response to the alert deserve medals

RosettaT

Sep 9, 2018
Mid Lincs
The same happened to my OH after his hospital discharge. He had an almighty poo on the commode at bed time then 3 hrs later his tummy was making horrendous erupting noises. When I checked him it was everywhere he was literally swimming it. Both the DR and me believe he had been impacted in hospital and once home after the 'plug' had moved as a result of ABs it was indeed as canary says a poo-nami.

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
Pleased to say that all seems well in bowel department now although she hasn’t been since and has probably slept 20 of the past 24 hours or so it feels. One thing I have discovered is that unzipping a medi-bed mattress cover is no problem and it dries very fast after washing machine visit but, putting the thing back on while on your own is a wee bit of a struggle but it has cleaned up nicely. ?

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Your halo is well deserved @Agzy Here`s another from me. ?

It`s good news about the ease of laundering mattress cover but I can imagine to struggle to replace it. I have a heavy memory foam mattress topper and that cover is awful to replace after laundering and it will be a fraction of the weight of your mattress.

White Rose

Nov 4, 2018
Well what a complete nightmare @Agzy but you survived, could you have ever imagined going through something like that. Yes a halo for sure.

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
It does not sound that @Agzy needs a motion detector - it is obvious and abundant! I hope that things have settled down and the unlovely trio have crawled back under their rocks.