Offered requires improvement care home

Lstevens412

Jul 25, 2020
Good evening
SS have offered us a place for MIL ( who will be self funding) In a care home that has required improving for at least last three inspection, have got to research further, only found out today. Have seen one good review. Some of the comments were shocking eg lack of interaction, if there can’t be bothered when an inspector is there......
can we refuse? We just put a camera at her flat as we are not local to her, and dementia got worse. The carers are providing mimimim care, are in and out, on mobile phones etc.

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
If your MIL will self-funding you could look at homes yourself or is there a reason social services are involved? This site is useful to see what is out there.
https://www.carehome.co.uk/. Of course everything is so much more difficult at the moment as you can't go and visit and get a feel of the place. I hope you can sort something out that means your MIL is well cared for and that you are happy too.

Rosettastone57

Oct 27, 2016
My mother in law was self funding and we just organised the care home ourselves with no social services involvement. I'm just wondering why social services have offered this when you can chose a home yourself

Lstevens412

Jul 25, 2020
Good morning, SS were involved because of her wandering and her being vulnerable. We have no power of attorney, am awaiting deputyship. On a good day, she may agree to a care day, on a bad day she would not understand. Surely we can’t just put in a care home ? thank you.

Lstevens412

Jul 25, 2020
I just found this - The person with dementia may not have an attorney, deputy or controller. In this case, the decision should ideally be made between health and social care professionals (such as social workers or health care professionals) and those close to the person. If there is a disagreement, it would normally be the health and social care professionals who make the decision, but again this could be challenged by the person’s family or friends.

Mum in law was looked after by my husband’s younger brother until he died of covid in March. We did not know he hadn’t got POA and the death triggered a severe decline, and with everything being so slow, we got to this point ?

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
Good morning, SS were involved because of her wandering and her being vulnerable. We have no power of attorney, am awaiting deputyship. On a good day, she may agree to a care day, on a bad day she would not understand. Surely we can’t just put in a care home ? thank you.

I'm sorry to hear of your situation

If she is wandering then that poses considerable risk to her, unfortunately without an LPA you are limited in what you can decide but usually the SW will work with you to try and find a solution though a care home is likely the best option at this stage.

I just wanted to cover some comments made ealrier about self funding and quality of care. All residents in a care home recieve the same care regardless if self funding or not unless they are in an exclusively private residential home which few people can afford. It is important when looking at care homes to keep this in mind.

lemonbalm

May 21, 2018
I'm sorry to hear about your brother-in-law @Lstevens412 . Have you read the CQC reports for the care home? Often, homes can be marked down for relatively minor things. It seems poor that the home has had so many instances of needing improvement but I guess they could be for different things each time. I would be concerned about the reviews though. Have you discussed your concerns with Social Services? I would have thought they could offer you at least some choice.

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
@Lstevens412 , I'd try and find a home you think might better meet your mother in law's needs and then discuss it with social services. As I said it is tricky with the current visiting restrictions to get a proper opinion of a care home. It could well be that the home the social worker has suggested might work well and have improved since the last inspection.
I hope deputyship comes through soon, we're in a very similar situation with my mother in law at the moment.

Lstevens412

Jul 25, 2020
Good news, the care home has declined taking mum in law, says can’t meet her needs, so gives us time to research options, thanks to everyone who commented ❤️

lemonbalm

May 21, 2018
Put that down to fate then! Good luck with finding somewhere suitable. I hope, for the sake of the residents in the home that declined your mum-in-law, that it is much improved in the meantime. In an ideal world, all care homes would all be outstanding but, sadly, some are far from it.