Ocd

Joe

Jan 30, 2007
Surrey
My father has recently been diagnosed with Alzheimers, and at the same time developed OCD. His temper is also, at times, uncontrollable, and he sulks (sitting in the car waiting for an apology). He used to take his temper out on my mother, but this is now being extended to my 12 yr old son. Does anyone know if/how OCD and Alzheimers can be treated together?:mad:

Last edited:

Áine

Feb 22, 2006
sort of north east ish
Hi Joe

Welcome to TP!

I'm a bit unclear what you're asking about alzheimer's and OCD being treated together. It looks as though there could be a connection between the two, though not necessarily. But the fact that your father seems to have developed both at the same time suggests some connection.

It sounds like your father (not surprisingly) is finding it hard to come to terms with the diagnosis and perhaps that's part of why he's getting so angry and anxious (OCD is an anxiety sort of thing). It's not quite clear from your post whether your father tended to have a temper before he was ill. I wonder if the "sulking" could just be that he's not able to think things through anymore and just gets stuck in feeling angry and not knowing what to do.

Maybe it would be helpful for you to get a bit more info from your father's GP or consultant about what they think could be useful treatment etc.

best wishes

Áine

dmc

Mar 13, 2006
hi joe

not got any knowledge of this but i was wondering if dad is on any medication, and is he under any doctor or have a CPN you could confide in.
i would think you would need to get medical advice on this.
do you think you could perhaps keep your son away from your dad till you get this sorted, or does he realise its your dads illness thats causing his bad temper?
probably more questions than answers for you perhaps you could tell us a bit more about the situation, and yourself,
hope you get some more positive answers soon
take care x

Amy

Jan 4, 2006
Hiya Joe,
Welcome to TP.
I know that there are some antidepressants specifically used for OCD.
My mum had always been mild mannered, but as her dementia developed she would occasionally become angry with older children - the younger ones were OK.
I think even if your son understands that it is grandad's illness, it could still be very painful and confusing for him - I would try and make sure that he and dad aren't left alone together, and that you can comfort him if verbal attacks do occur.
Helen

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
orange77