Obtaining a Water Sample...

Stresshead

Sep 13, 2014
Hi All

Sorry, I'm full of questions today.

Anybody got an ideas on how I can obtain a water sample from my dad who very rarely goes to the toilet? I think there is infection there but as his mobility is becoming so poor and his understanding as well I am struggling to get a sample. Plus it has to be done in the morning and taken to the surgery before 1pm.

He finished 2 weeks of antibiotics on Friday for a chest infection but signs of something else being wrong was starting to show through. The doctor is sending the district nurse today to do blood tests. Will a blood test be enough to show up a water infection? He has been fairly stable over the weekend and just rested in bed but today I have got him up and the rambling has started which tells me infection is definitely present.

I do have a rescue pack of antibiotics for the constant chest infections that he gets but don't want to start him needlessly on them if it's a UTI that he has instead.

My head hurts today..........I had no idea looking after an elderly person could be so complex. I need to be a doctor, nurse, carer, daughter, mind reader and magician !!

Thanks again for any help you can offer.

Stresshead xx

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Is he wearing incontinence pads? Our doctor provided us with some syringes and just this morning I used this method for the first time. I took his full overnight pad and syringed the urine from this into a sample bottle. It took forever but he doesn't pee on command anymore so its the only option or us!

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
If your father is still using the toilet, do you have an old plastic mixing bowl just slightly bigger than the toilet bowl, put it in place and leave it there, chances are you'll get something, transfer to old plastic jug and then sample bottle. Flushing will not be a problem because it will be below the plastic bowl. You just have to be aware every time he goes to toilet and be prepared to get in there quick before he realises that things aren't quite right with the toilet!!

Because of the delivery time problem, does anyone on here know if it is possible to freeze Urine!!!

LynneMcV

Volunteer Moderator
May 9, 2012
south-east London
I put a plastic bowl or similar container in the toilet, big enough to cover the bottom of the pan, then I just leave it there until nature takes its course.

Previously I had tried giving instructions to wee into the bowl, but it just caused confusion. Now I just tell him to do whatever he normally does, whenever he feels he needs to - and don't even mention the bowl. He copes with that much better than me flapping around trying to explain what I need him to do.

I have the bowl in place before he gets up in the morning as he usually visits the loo as soon as he is awake. If I miss that opportunity though, it can be several hours before he next needs to go.

You only need a small amount - you don't even need to fill the whole sample tube, so it's not a problem if most falls outside of the bowl!

LynneMcV

Volunteer Moderator
May 9, 2012
south-east London
Because of the delivery time problem, does anyone on here know if it is possible to freeze Urine!!!

I don't know about freezing but I have been told by the nurse practitioner in the past that the sample can be kept in the fridge for up to 24 hrs if necessary.

Sorry I more or less repeated your post before, we must have both been typing up our pearls of wisdom and posting around the same time :)

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
I don't know about freezing but I have been told by the nurse practitioner in the past that the sample can be kept in the fridge for up to 24 hrs if necessary.

Sorry I more or less repeated your post before, we must have both been typing up our pearls of wisdom and posting around the same time :)

Just proves at some time or other we are all having the same problems and being a carer forces you to think out of the box!!!!