Obtaining a UTI test

Linbrusco

Mar 4, 2013
Auckland...... New Zealand
Mum is in a care home and at a increased moderate stage of Alzheimers.
Refuses to wear or removes incontinence pads. She is not totally incontinent.
CH staff have been trying last few says to obtain a urine sample for testing.
Mum is not cooperating one bit of course :)
They already have Mum on a toileting schedule but she is very resistant.
CH place a special bowl in the toilet but Mum removes it, and wont let Care staff in the loo to help.
It may mean i have to go there today to try and help, as they may have more chance Mum letting me in the loo as I used to previously before she went into care.

So how else do you obtain a test.
What complicates matters is Mum has Leukemia ( stable) so anti biotics are given when only as needed rather than as a precaution. Mums behaviour past 3 days is a bit off hence the testing.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hi Linbrusco
any chance you could use cling film across the loo pan - obviously not in the way the old practical joke did - but with some give in the film, your mum may not notice it there and you may be able to get a sample - or a large clear plastic bag
you then have to make sure she doesn't flush ....

Philbo

Feb 28, 2017
Kent
I believe you or the CH can get test "kits" that go inside the pads/pull-ups? Others may have more detail but I've read about these and I am sure most CH's will have dealt with this on a routine basis?

It may be a bit trial and error, as your mum may not cooperate but if she's at least partly incontinent, then the "kit" should work?

Linbrusco

Mar 4, 2013
Auckland...... New Zealand
Was phoned by CH to see if I could come in and see if I could get Mum to do a sample.
Took me an hour, several love lies & making her laugh but mission accomplished. :D
Its one of the few times you hope it is a UTI and not Alz progression

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bottomls