Obsessions

mabbs

Dec 1, 2014
Lancashire
Yes, I'm sorry to read your post too, Mabbs.

My mum hit me a few times (she used to attack me with her walking stick), and the only hopeful thing I can say is that this behaviour was rare, it never became a huge problem and it did stop after a couple of years.

tablets seem to be working he is much calmer now, consultant coming to our home on Monday, between 11 and 2 . don't think I could cope with this for 2 years rare or not.
The memory service have said they cant look after Phil anymore, and we will be transferred to the mental health team. Had a raging headache for 2 days, stress I guess, roll on Monday, and fingers crossed for a quiet weekend.

Onlyme

Apr 5, 2010
UK
Did they chek you out? If the headaches get worse you need to get urgent medical help for YOU.

mabbs

Dec 1, 2014
Lancashire
Did they chek you out? If the headaches get worse you need to get urgent medical help for YOU.

hi, I was asked if I was oK, and I am it was the shock more than anything, I had the sense ( dont know how) to back up as the blows hit, so although they connected the main force was spent, they hurt at the time,but no bruises so cant have been as bad as they felt.

The headache I am sure is stress related, its not so bad now, but I am still a bit on edge, tablets have definitely made a difference. Bet they wont let him stay on them though.
mabbs

pamann

Oct 28, 2013
Kent
Hello mabbs my hubby started to get aggressive a month ago, the Dr gave him Sertraline anti depressants, they have worked well he is alot calmer, as long as he doesn't get upset he has been good, l asked the Dr how long will he be on them for,he said he will probably have to stay on them, he is increasing the dose every month until he is on 200mg. He is alßo taking sleeping pills and Donepenzil. I do hope your hubby stops being aggressive, it is so frightening for you, l got very nervous. Take great care

mabbs

Dec 1, 2014
Lancashire
Hello mabbs my hubby started to get aggressive a month ago, the Dr gave him Sertraline anti depressants, they have worked well he is alot calmer, as long as he doesn't get upset he has been good, l asked the Dr how long will he be on them for,he said he will probably have to stay on them, he is increasing the dose every month until he is on 200mg. He is alßo taking sleeping pills and Donepenzil. I do hope your hubby stops being aggressive, it is so frightening for you, l got very nervous. Take great care

hello pamann, I get nervous as well, he is on lorezapan at least up to and including Monday, its working well so far, but think its a short term solution. Not sure what to expect from Mondays meeting, but things cant go on as they are. The donepezil was making him aggresive, but now he is off them its even worse. Oh well see what Monday brings. Hope things are going ok with you .

oldbones

Oct 19, 2013
fear

Started meds on Thursday, seemed fine until Saturday evening, then checked the front door 8 times in an hour and a half, plus he was checking under tables and in corners for an intruder, torch shining under a side table that a child couldn't hide under, he has always worried about the door being locked, but this is excessive.

Today he told me that he thought he was going to die last night, someone tried to get into his bedroom, he hid under the covers, somebody outside must have told then to leave him alone, through ear plugs.

Hoping this is side effects from the drugs, that will disappear, once he is used to them, because if not I have no idea what to do. He was obviously frightened, he's never been frightened of anything, its so sad, to see him like this.

Sadly, fear was a major part of my husbands AD. Sometimes he would get up 3-4-5 times a night because he was frightened. He could never explain why he was frightened = just that he was. The doors were locked and bolted every night at about 4pm, just to make sure no one could come in. Another weird thing my husbands AD caused was - when watching the television he truly believed that he was a part of it. While watching "cant pay they'll take it away" for instance, he thought the bailiffs were coming to take our furniture and money.
He thought he could only use his shaver when the television had charged it up. Every month or so a different obsession or psychosis. For 12 months he thought I was poisoning him. Next the dogs had given him worms and they were going though his brain. He accused one gardiner of taking all his tarpaulins, needless to say he left. The next gardiner was accused of digging up and stealing his box trees. According to my husband I was off having affairs with all and sundry. Hard to do when you spend you whole time looking after him
This is such a bl**dy awful illness, and you need the patience of Job.
The only thing I would suggest is to try to keep calm and, look with him to reassure him. Agree with anything he says, because he lives on a different plane to you.
Sometimes a urinary tract infection can cause confusion. Hope things get better for you. Praying for you that he does not get worse.

pamann

Oct 28, 2013
Kent
Hello mabbs just catching up on your post hope Monday goes well for you, l did as our Dr if my hubby could come off Donepezil as l thought that they weren't working anymore, but he said he would be much worse without it, and that he would go down hill very quickly, the last two days my hubby has been so hard to cope with, not aggressive but very confused, l think its just the AD keep safe

mabbs

Dec 1, 2014
Lancashire
The consultant came yesterday - home visit - she has changed his meds but also left me with a supply of lorazepam, in case needed.
Mental Health supposed to be in touch in the next couple of days - hmm we will see.
He was very agitated today so I have given him a lz, he is calmer now, the problem is am I giving him the lz, because he is agitated, or because I am frightened of being attacked again.
Daughter sent me a link on frontotemporal dementia, all the symptoms match my Phils symptoms. And as they say the CT and the MRI didn't show any of the 'normal' indicators of alzheimer's or parkinson's, it could well be he has this, in which case things would make a lot more sense.

How on earth do I get in touch with people when the only option is phone, and hubby is sitting here while I am on the phone? and they wont give a email address. All I seem to be doing is trying to get help and not succeeding.

Daughter here this weekend, and Son will also pop over between flights out of the country for work, so will get help from them, and maybe a way forward.

To all that have replied to me thanks, it helps me no end. Mabbs

sinsan

Apr 29, 2015
Does anyone one have a husband with obsessive handkerchiefs or pieces of toilet paper? Driving me mad

yes yes !!! every night before going to bed he carefuly folds up about 8 pieces of toilet paper and takes the with him,he also has an obsession about shirts, he wears 2 at once and also has a special one he wears for cleaning his teeth!

pamann

Oct 28, 2013
Kent
Hello sinsan my hubby ware's two or three shirts has 50 in his wardrobe, but tells me he only has the ones he has on, how funny is that!!!!

Kjn

Jul 27, 2013
My dad changes his shirts constantly , rolls em up into back of wardrobe or empties wardrobe is latest thing and hanging them around room after banging nails into wall, shoes shoved down radiators..

tinytee1234

Feb 3, 2015
David Cameron? Stephen Fry? Sorry to laugh, but some of these things are so funny when you read them, though obviously not when it's happening to you. John spent a considerable amount of time on an Environmental Committee, somewhere "up North". Apparently, they waited breathlessly for all his suggestions, but then the barstewards claimed them as their own.

He resigned. :D

I am so sorry I haven't replied to anyone. Until today I couldn't get back on here as nothing i tried even registering would work. Thankyou all so much for your kind welcome and replies. Since last time my husband has had a bad fall and for 4 months has a fracture in lower back as well. He doesn't see his mum as much now but refuses to leave the bedroom. He has isolated himself away from everyone except me. Still watches Jeremy kyle every day. And now has an odd outburst of both verbal and physical violence. This only happens when I'm washing and dressing him and he seems to think I gave him permission to do this which of course I didn't. Thankyou all for being patient with me and hopefully I'm on here for a while now and hope I can to can offer support to everyone.