Obsessions

mabbs

Dec 1, 2014
Lancashire
Started meds on Thursday, seemed fine until Saturday evening, then checked the front door 8 times in an hour and a half, plus he was checking under tables and in corners for an intruder, torch shining under a side table that a child couldn't hide under, he has always worried about the door being locked, but this is excessive.

Today he told me that he thought he was going to die last night, someone tried to get into his bedroom, he hid under the covers, somebody outside must have told then to leave him alone, through ear plugs.

Hoping this is side effects from the drugs, that will disappear, once he is used to them, because if not I have no idea what to do. He was obviously frightened, he's never been frightened of anything, its so sad, to see him like this.

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
John used to insist that there were other people in his "dormitory" and he couldn't get to sleep, because they were making so much noise. About 3 years ago, when he said this, my response was probably along the lines of "well there's nobody there, what can I do".

Last year it was to march to his bedroom door, put my head round and say "you lot can bl**dy-well clear out, this is John's private room, so go now. That's right .... all of you, now." Then I opened, and closed the front door.

Worked a treat. :)

Rageddy Anne

Feb 21, 2013
Cotswolds
Scarlett, that was clever, and I'm so glad it worked. My husband, in the evenings when he's Sundowning, is always asking where all our guests are, have they gone out or have they gone to bed? There are only the two of us now, but we've always had lots of visitors, often a houseful, and he still thinks we're hosting visitors!

Margaret938

Hello Mabbs, This must be so upsetting for you to watch, I hope it is the medication and that it settles down soon. When George was at home I never experienced anything like this, he did go from room to room, looking for something, but this was very occasionally and it passed quickly. There is no getting away from it, this illness is evil. It not only changes the life of the sufferer but it totally ruins the life of the carer. All we can do is keep on loving them. Take care, Margaret

pamann

Oct 28, 2013
Kent
HELLO mabbs my hubby is always checking the doors are locked, he is always losing things, he thinks there are people in the house they steal all his things, its a nightmare know how you feel. ♡♡♡

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
Before my mum started anti depressants [April 2014] she was obsessive about certain things. The Anti d's increased her anxiety levels and so were changed, since June she has been taking 15mg Mirtazapine, increased to 30mg a week ago, because she had become very anxious about everything There is some agitation at moment, been told to give it another week before considering a change. One uncommon side effect to this medication is the urge to move, she is always up and walking around. Does not sit unless eating. Its a side effect that am ok with as long as her anxiety is dealt with. Its hard though because I keep trying to 'match' her behaviour with any side effects, when it is possible that it is just the Dementia.

mabbs

Dec 1, 2014
Lancashire
thank you to everyone who replied, I changed the time he had his meds, and he now seems a bit better, he is still checking the door but not as often, and I told him that if anyone tries to get into his room, he should call me and I would ring the police, phone is by my bed, that seems to have worked, he has had 2 reasonable nights.

He is very down though, might have to speak to dr about anti depressants, rather not go down that route until we have to, last time he was on them, he was like a zombie.

thanks again.

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
thank you to everyone who replied, I changed the time he had his meds, and he now seems a bit better, he is still checking the door but not as often, and I told him that if anyone tries to get into his room, he should call me and I would ring the police, phone is by my bed, that seems to have worked, he has had 2 reasonable nights.

He is very down though, might have to speak to dr about anti depressants, rather not go down that route until we have to, last time he was on them, he was like a zombie.

thanks again.

Well there you go! :D He just needs reassuring, and Alzheimer Lies are perfectly acceptable in cases like this. Don't forget, after you have "called the police", to tell the invisible intruders, very firmly, that they'd better go smartish, or they'll get arrested.

And if you're asked if "they've gone", say that the police have arrested them, and they won't dare come back. That's me, poet and liar extraordinaire. :)

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
Pete used to 'see' people in the house who were going to harm him. I used to roll a newspaper and hit them round the head to get them to leave:eek: I've also 'phoned' the Police to get rid of 'someone' on the front doorstep:eek:

As Carers we can be very inventive:D

Love,

Lyn T XX

truth24

Oct 13, 2013
North Somerset
Luckily that was something I didn't really have to deal with. Fred used to talk to his 'friend' in the mirror. Fascinatingly lucid conversations they were too. It was strange because he originally thought he was a stalker and was so frightened I had to cover the mirror in his room but they gradually became friends. I even took a mirror to his room in the CH in case he needed it but he doesn't even look at it now.

Sent from my GT-N5110

mabbs

Dec 1, 2014
Lancashire
the little AZ lies seem to have worked and Phil(OH) had another reasonable night, today he is pretty unresponsive, and spending most of the time just glaring at me, I am not sure he knows who I am all the time. Doesn't help that I am feeling very low today, probably the weather isn't helping, strong winds and rain, so very gloomy. But its so hard, to grit my teeth, when I really want to shout at him, then he falls asleep, and when he wakes he has no idea of anything happening to cause upset. I am taking him to next weeks az cafe, at least then I get to see and speak to someone else, its a week since I saw anyone other than Phil, and he rarely talks to me at all now, because he cant find the right words, so he prefers not to talk at all. Its very lonely this life with AZ, I feel so alone today. If I could I would crawl into a corner and cry, not an option though. Got no motivation at all.

WIFE

May 23, 2014
WEST SUSSEX
How well I remember "phoning for the police" on many occasions to report "intruders", "stolen cars", "aeroplanes landing on the roof", very large birds in the tree outside his room and of course, those multitudes of Germans and snakes and all this from the first floor of a locked EMI unit. Many times my husband would spend the rest of the day trying the patience of the staff, asking when the police were due to arrive.

Lilac Blossom

Oct 6, 2014
Scotland
Hope you are feeling a bit brighter today Mabbs - it is so hard I know - hubby is housebound and so I mostly am also. I only pop out briefly for shopping and just long for a decent chinwag over a coffee - hubby doesn't have conversation.

mabbs

Dec 1, 2014
Lancashire
Hi, Truth Wife and Lilac Blossom, not been on for a couple of days, much better now thanks, chickens arrived this morning, 3 very lovely girls, hubby entranced, spent most of the afternoon, watching them from the window, too cold to stand outside, sun has shone all day, we had great fun trying to get them into the house for the night, chasing one escapee around the garden, so we (hubby, chicken and me) all tired out, he is still checking doors and shining torch under the table, still convinced someone in the house at times. Hoping the chickens will help him, he cant pick them up, as his hands shake to much, but he is able to stroke them, if I pick them up. Going to cafe again Wed, so will give us both a boost I hope.

I think I was just under the weather the other day, bit of sunshine makes all the difference.

truth24

Oct 13, 2013
North Somerset
Glad you are feeling a little better, mabbs. How great to be able to keep chickens. My son has some lovely bantam girls and a boy to boss them around. As you say, can spend hours just watching their antics. They are allowed to roam freely in his garden as it is well fenced to keep them and the dogs in and the deer and hopefully the foxes out. The River Exe runs across the end of the garden, so unless they swim across to join the pheasants they are pretty secure. Hope you and your man get lots of enjoyment from them. Love. Verity
Sent from my GT-N5110

Lilac Blossom

Oct 6, 2014
Scotland
I love the idea of keeping chickens Mabbs, amusing to watch their antics. I had a wee walk this afternoon - sunny when I left the house then the snow came on again. We are on the coast so I went along by the beach - the sea is really wild, huge waves, hardly anyone there today but I love the sea in all weathers.

chick1962

Apr 3, 2014
near Folkestone
I love the idea of keeping chickens Mabbs, amusing to watch their antics. I had a wee walk this afternoon - sunny when I left the house then the snow came on again. We are on the coast so I went along by the beach - the sea is really wild, huge waves, hardly anyone there today but I love the sea in all weathers.

We also live near the coast and went for a walk along the seafront. It's fascinating to see the sea so wild and raw in the winds! No snow here though

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Kitti

Jan 28, 2015
Started meds on Thursday, seemed fine until Saturday evening, then checked the front door 8 times in an hour and a half, plus he was checking under tables and in corners for an intruder, torch shining under a side table that a child couldn't hide under, he has always worried about the door being locked, but this is excessive.

Today he told me that he thought he was going to die last night, someone tried to get into his bedroom, he hid under the covers, somebody outside must have told then to leave him alone, through ear plugs.

Hoping this is side effects from the drugs, that will disappear, once he is used to them, because if not I have no idea what to do. He was obviously frightened, he's never been frightened of anything, its so sad, to see him like this.

Perhaps it's worth checking with whoever prescribed the medication just to make sure it's not a side effect?

tinytee1234

Feb 3, 2015
Hi. I am new today on here. My husband is 51 and has was diagnosed with alzheimers a couple of months ago. They say he has probably had this for a few years and even though the scans showed things happening this was not picked up til lately.Thank you all for your ideas with obsessions, my husbands obsession is that his mum is there cooking for him and me and my daughter have to go and find the pie she has made. He is also obsessed with jeremy kyle and our mornings are on hold til jeremy has finished. After reading your comments on here i am glad i now know that a small lie to him doesnt hurt, it was hard to lying to him as we have never lied to each other, but if it helps. He is also on medication now, started two weeks ago.