Obsessed

amnmont

Aug 11, 2008
southampton, hampshire
I am obsessed (probably to the point of being unhealthy!) about getting Alzheimer's. My mum has early onset Alzheimer's. She's 59 now but as a family we have noticed her doing strange things for about 12 years (i'm now 30). I get panicky when i forget words, or get my words muddled up or forget how to spell a word. I have a small child so don't work and it's got worse since not working - I worry i'm not keeping my brain active enough. My memory in the sense of remembering events and what people told me is fine. I feel guilty that my child may have to see me go through what i am seeing my mum go through. My friends, husband and dad say i'm fine and that i'm no different to anyone else in forgetting but i get really panicky.

Sorry to post this - I just feel that you guys are the only ones who understand what i'm saying and feeling!!!!

Nebiroth

Aug 20, 2006
I do understand your feelings. You may wish to read the Society page on dementia and inheritance

http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/site/scripts/documents_info.php?documentID=168

I would also advise that you seek advice from your doctor about your thoughts, as they sound as though they may be becoming obsessive in nature. I know from personal experience that left untreated this can lead to depression or even a nervous breakdown.

Counselling and cognitive therapy might be useful.

It is always a "red flag" when thoughts become so intrusive that they interfere with your daily life.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello amnmont

When my mother was diagnosed, admittedly not as a younger person, her GP, and mine, actually made the comment that as he was younger than I was, he would keep an eye on me.

Please don`t think I don`t understand your feelings when I say I didn`t give it another thought.

You could be knocked down by a bus tomorrow. You could have an accident in the home. You do not need me to list the `what ifs` of life.

If you need help to conquer this obsession try to get it, see your GP. Please don`t waste your precious life worrying about something that may or may not happen.

Love xx

Lanie

Aug 31, 2008
Surrey
Hi

I don't think your alone, but you can't let these feelings take over your life, live for today as none of us knows what tomorrow may bring.

I also have worries that I may get Alzheimers due to the fact that my great grandad, grandad both had, what was then known as senile dementia, my Mum and her older sister both have Alzheimers.

If I'm going to get the dreadful disease later on there is probably not much I can do about it. But I have decided that I will ensure that my relatives don't have the added worry of wills, Lasting power of attorney etc and my wishes I have decided to write down now. As for my mum its to late she never made any preparation for the future and that is quite difficult.

If your at home try reading, doing crosswords may be even an online course if your worried about keeping you mind active, also I've read that diet is quite important too.

But remember life is to short, so please don't let something that may never happen ruin your life. They say you only have one life so live it to the full.

Take care.

Lanie

kizzy10

Aug 28, 2008
hi, welcome to a great site, my mum too has an early onset dementia... she is only 56.. Its crossed my mind about what if and when would be lying if it hadnt.. i too have children and wonder if it will happen to me when they reach my age. But then i realise life`s too short to constantly worry, my moto is to live life each day show your loved ones you love them and forget about what the future will bring just make the most of today and those close to you.. I agree with others see your gp dont let the problem get bigger face your demons then get on and enjoy your life and your childs youth. take care kizzy.x

amnmont

Aug 11, 2008
southampton, hampshire
Thank you for your replies. And Skittish - thank you for sending your thread - if i'd looked at that before starting to write mine I wouldn't have written it and felt a bit happier that i'm not the only one!!

I do have high cholesterol so that always worries me but when i go back to the docs to get that checked I'll chat iwth them about the whole Alzheimer's thing too.

Thank you x

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Max69