Nutrition and the elderly

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Hi Lila

I have not heard the programme but I agree totally.

Time and effort spent in getting someone who can feed themselves can be long, but that is magnified when the person needs to be fed, if the food isn't simply to be shovelled in.

janetruth

Mar 20, 2007
nuneaton
Hi Lila

My 82 year old mum who has Alxheimers, is now living with us. This time last year she was very ill. she wasn't eating much and started to go down hill.
The family tried to encourage her to eat and drink etc, she lost interest in living.
She ended up in hospital where an underactive Thyroid was diagnosed, after 3 weeks they discharged her. SS arranged a care package. The family all did their best but she started to down again.
My mum is npw happy and enjoys her food, she has her 5 portions of fruit and veg, fish 3 times a week. With the combination of company, love, outings, Day centre (once a week) and Reminyl her life is much improved. She still has terrible athritis, especially in her knees (she has Celebrex for that, it takes some of the pain away) and the Alzheimers will always be there, but it's great to hear her laughing again and taking an interest in tjings.

You are what you eat.

Take care Bye for now.
Janetruth x