Nutritherapy

louise@weinprop

May 12, 2005
Good Morning to you all - I was just wondering if anyone else has tried Nutritherapy with family suffering from Alzheimers. I was introduced to this method of treatment by a friend and with a hopeful heart I took my husband (60 years) to an appointment. They linked him up to a machine which read his brain waves to ascertain the amount of damage and to cut a long story short the prognosis was to try and re-oxygenate the brain as there appeared to be a lot of brain activity, as well as a lot of stress and frustration. They have now got him on the machine and a nutrient/oxygen drip once a week as well as a cell food and a "sweep" drink each morning which contains all the nutrients required.
We are only on week 3 but I just wondered if anyone else had heard of this treatment ?

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi Louise

No. I've never heard of it. But any form of treatment is worth trying, in my opinion, unless they do harm.

I'll be interested to read the results of the treatment.

Good luck,

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello Louise,

I haven`t heard of it either, but it sounds logical enough. I do hope it is effective and would love to hear how your husband gets on.

annesharlie

Apr 10, 2007
Vancouver Island, Canada
I've never heard of this - I see you are from South Africa - I'm in Canada, it seems the only option they use here is treatments with drugs which vary with success. I'll be very interested to see if it helps, let us know soon if it's making a difference, seems it should work pretty quickly if it's going to. Are you paying a lot? I am quite wary of costly unproven alternative medical ideas .... have they given you evidence that it will help? I would tend to think this - the veins etc to the brain are either in place properly, in which case, the usual blood with oxygen in it would get there correctly, or the veins are in some way compromised, in which case, they are not going to supply the newly oxygenated stuff from the drip to that area anyway. If his ordinary normal day to day blood didn't have enough oxygen in it the whole body would suffer terribly, he probably wouldn't be alive - so the problem - if this is the case, has to be supply to that area of the brain.

Grommit

Apr 26, 2006
Doncaster
Regarding new treatments in general and not, I emphasise, this one in particular, it is quite a debatable point whether we, as carers, should allow our loved ones to participate as guinea pigs in the formulation of new treatments.

The dilemma seems to be that we may putting them through anguish and distress as new treatments are tried, whilst they are not in full control of their faculties.

On the other hand, we may be denying them treatment which actually works and relieves the symptoms of the disease.

Someone, somewhere will be the first person to be cured of the disease and how can it be my wife if trials are not conducted on her?

Yet, I would not feel safe or morally justified in offering her up as a trial subject if the opportunity arose.

louise@weinprop

May 12, 2005
Many thanks for your replies, yes I am from Johannesburg South Africa and at present trying to get many other carers to log on to this very informative site, without which I would be lost.
The reason I took my husband to Nutritherapy is because he was really depressed and loosing all his energy, not wanting to walk anymore or ride his bike or even try and converse, which is a great problem for him now and when I took him to the Neurologist, he wanted to put him on Prozac for the depression, which I vehemently disagreed to. I simply wanted something to boost his system, which the doc more or less intimated was a waste of time...... Hence I went the Nutritherapy route, not expecting a cure however, but just trying to lift his general health and of course his spirit.
Anyhow I will keep you all informed of the outcome, he is at least more content that we are trying to help him. He is taking Aricept and has been for 3 years, but I really wonder if it has helped him at all or whether he would have deteriorated to this extent without the drug (which costs a fortune here in South Africa).
He is only 60 years and if it means he can enjoy our grandchildren for another couple of years then I am willing to try anything.
Just by the way, this is by no means "guinea pig" treatment, the environment in which they treat him (and many others) is very tranquil and pleasant and they have had quite a number of success stories with cancer patients as well.
Take care everyone and keep up the good work .....

annesharlie

Apr 10, 2007
Vancouver Island, Canada
I don't know if you should be so adamantly against an anti-depression drug - a good friend whose husband had an EOD was also very depressed, angry, difficult etc, and the drug made the absolute world of difference to him, and indeed to her. Perhaps the Aricept has outlived it's usefulness, from what I hear it usually only helps a couple of years anyway, perhaps he could go off that and try the anti depressant instead - I suspect you're not wanting him on too much medication. I really think it's worth a try - with this dreadful disease the time is limited, you want it to be as pleasant as possible for him, and an anti depressant drug is a proven way to help this situation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nana8455