Nursing homes

Aisling

Dec 5, 2015
Ireland
Aisling I really really understand what you are saying. I have no easy answers but can only tell you what I have experienced for myself.

My wonderful husband was diagnosed 4 years ago. He has never at any point had any insight into his condition, so I have managed the situation throughout. When things became more serious, I was advised, two years ago almost to the day, to put him into residential care. At that time I still felt I could communicate with him at some level and give him some quality of life.

I engaged carers 3 times a day to deal with getting him up, dressing, showering, toileting etc etc. He was doubly incontinent and I, after initial horror, learnt to deal with that. I carried spare pads, used disabled toilets, helped him eat, sat with him in the sun, reassured him that all this was normal and nothing to worry about. For a while I could take him out for coffee, walks etc and I know I gave him a bit of life and pleasure for as long as he could enjoy it. People said I was mad, but I always knew somehow that I would know when I would have to let him go and it wasn't that time yet.

Sadly last October he deteriorated further, being unable to stand, transfer, eat unaided. He was, however, as he has always been, totally unruffled, calm and lovely. He went into an assessment centre to determine his needs. I continued to try to persuade myself that our imminent move to an adapted apartment, plus upping the carers I was paying for would allow me to keep him at home.

I'm not sure when, but at some point it just became clear to me that I was trying to keep him for my sake and not for his. He was calm and untroubled with the routine in the assessment centre. He was not distressed when I left him. With support from the mental health team and social services I began the painful process of finding him a residential placement.

For the first few weeks I still couldn't accept he wasn't coming home and couldn't really believe that it was the best thing for him. But, however painful it is for me, and I can tell you I am crying as I write this, I had to slowly confront the awful truth that , within a very few weeks, he saw the care home as 'home'. He is calm, looks well, has steadily got used to the very nice staff and sees nothing peculiar about the situation.

I am really afraid now that perhaps I should have let him go earlier. Perhaps I stressed him more by trying to give him a bit more life, trying to prolong our relationship, which had been so very very close for 42 years, for myself and not for his good.

Now I visit him regularly, though not every day. He has a nice room and TV. Conversation went long ago, but if I am calm and happy and show no sign of distress, he will hold my hand and kiss me, and be calm and cheerful when I say goodbye. I do know it is the right thing for him. But - I still cry all the way home.

I have finally come to accept that really he has gone. I believe I still have a role to play in continuing to provide reassurance and comfort. Touching, feeding him, talking to him as if it is the most natural thing in the world is what I must stay strong to do for him. But I know too that somehow I have to make a life myself so that I don't go to pieces. I must stay able to support and love him and in many ways that is easier now that the stress of physically caring has been lifted from me.

I bitterly resent that we have had to pay for everything, day centres, carers, and now the home, but at least I have been able to make sure I have found the very best for him I can only says that in some ways now it is not as bad as I expected it to be. He is safe and I can be near him without the unpleasant bits.

we are all different Aisling, but you have to find a way to survive this, I just hope that knowing my route might help or reassure you. With love. x

Thank you so much for sharing your journey with me. It has certainly helped me. Toy understand all the stuff I am Ealing with at the moment. Yes T needs full time care now and whatever the costs we will have to deal with it. This makes me so cross.

You have raised my spirits and thanks a million.

Aisling xx

Aisling

Dec 5, 2015
Ireland
Aisling, I don't know how things work in Ireland, but this was my experience.

It was good for mum to have the CH doctor. She was there twice a week and would come out at other times if I requested a visit. I always attended any appointments and we discussed options together. It was simpler with my mum, I must admit, as she was not on any particularly specialized 'psychiatric' drugs. It was the same in hospital. I was always there when the docs came round and they discussed matters freely with me.

Perhaps you should contact the psy team and ask that they speak with you. Also explain your worries with the NH manager. Can you amend the form you signed?

Thank you so much. Without TP and replies I would be completely lst.

Aisling xx

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Thanks again. I believe when T gets long term care, he will share a very large airy bedroom with another resident. He has a single bedroom at moment. I can't see T sharing bedroom as he may get confused with two beds!! But Am not going to worry about that!

Aisling xx

Then ask them if, as soon as a single room because available, T could have it. When William first went into the nursing home, he too was in a shared room. The man sharing the room was so very quiet, he was creeping William out - because I think William wasn't sure if the guy was real or not! So I asked if he could be moved to the next single room that came available. And he was much happier.

Aisling

Dec 5, 2015
Ireland
Then ask them if, as soon as a single room because available, T could have it. When William first went into the nursing home, he too was in a shared room. The man sharing the room was so very quiet, he was creeping William out - because I think William wasn't sure if the guy was real or not! So I asked if he could be moved to the next single room that came available. And he was much happier.

Will do.

Thank you.
Aislingxx

Aisling

Dec 5, 2015
Ireland
Nursing home / update.

All professional advisors are off somewhere !! Why am I surprised ? Am paddling my own canoe at the moment....... With loads of advice on TP.

I worry about some of our friends here who are going through tough times. If they don't post on their threads what is the correct thing to do? Is it ok to post a positive comment on the thread? Advice please. I don't want to offend or hurt anyone.

I find it hugely helpful that sometimes when I don't post, someone will send me a nice msge. For me it is a feel good factor.

Aisling xx

Aisling

Dec 5, 2015
Ireland
Hi Everyone,

Latest news! T has broken his glasses again....... Carer going to try to get them fixed so I havn't to do the run a round. Bless him. His sister went to see him today. Nursing home told me. I contacted her and she told me how he much he has deteriorated. he has deteriorated. Sure she hasn't seen him for over a month! She and hubby had a cup of tea with him! Staff will only talk to me about his condition! All his blood results back and home doc will check them tomorrow.

Getting papers etc together. Waiting game. Wish I knew if he will get emergency care till long term is sorted. Scary I know. It seems to be on a day to day basis. I don't know what is happening next week. It frightens me and mental and emotional effects are awful. All I want to do is escape and sleep. Am sure this is all " normal " but a nightmare.

I don't feel great and everything is a huge effort. My other fear is getting depresses!! T in his third week of respite now and I should be feeling better. It is like being in a time warp.

Thanks for all your support.

Aisling xx

Lavender45

Jun 7, 2015
Liverpool
You have an awful lot on your shoulders, it's no surprise you don't feel at your best. Wish I could offer something more practical than a (((hug))), but I hope a virtual hug helps just a little bit.

Lavender x

Aisling

Dec 5, 2015
Ireland
You have an awful lot on your shoulders, it's no surprise you don't feel at your best. Wish I could offer something more practical than a (((hug))), but I hope a virtual hug helps just a little bit.

Lavender x

A reply and a hug is great. Thank you Lavender.

Aisling xx

Babymare01

Apr 22, 2015
Hello there

So many good comments above so I just wanted to say my mother is in a CH and yes we had to sell her house to fund it. Whilst it would break my mothers heart to know this, as her daughter I don't feel I have been deprived of my inhertitance. I see my mother loved, safe and well cared for in the CH and that is what means most to me.

No I don't believe any elderly person should have to sell their home to fund their care when they have worked and paid their dues to this country - mum worked till she was 73 - but that's how it is and as I said above my mum is safe and loved so lack of inheritance is no loss to me :)

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Hello there

So many good comments above so I just wanted to say my mother is in a CH and yes we had to sell her house to fund it. Whilst it would break my mothers heart to know this, as her daughter I don't feel I have been deprived of my inhertitance. I see my mother loved, safe and well cared for in the CH and that is what means most to me.

No I don't believe any elderly person should have to sell their home to fund their care when they have worked and paid their dues to this country - mum worked till she was 73 - but that's how it is and as I said above my mum is safe and loved so lack of inheritance is no loss to me :)

But Aisling is a wife, still living in the home CCOLE. The system here in Ireland is different - the value of the home is taken into consideration when assessing what a person will pay, even if a spouse is still living there.

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
Hello there

I am so much in agreement with you. My husband has received wonderful care, which sadly he no longer needs and should I need similar care then my house will be sold to fund my care. Our children, like you, don't want an inheritance, they wanted Mum and Dad to enjoy their retirement until the last penny had gone. Dementia did not even let us begin our retirement and as the children have LPA for both finance and health they will see I get the care.

I sincerely hope that there will be some inheritance for them and the gifts I have willed to my grandchildren will happen but as we all know it is not a certainty, nothing in life really is.

Babymare01

Apr 22, 2015
hello LadyA :) I only made me comment because it seemed to play on Aisling's mind re depriving her son of inheriting the home - apologies if posted wrong and offend xx

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
hello LadyA :) I only made me comment because it seemed to play on Aisling's mind re depriving her son of inheriting the home - apologies if posted wrong and offend xx

No, not offended at all. I know the system in the UK is different, that's all, and it had been a bit confusing for some people some weeks ago, because I believe in the UK, the home wouldn't come under assessment while a spouse was still living there. Nor, I believe would any savings in the spouse's sole name. Different here - everything you have between you has to be declared.

MAMMYGRANNY

Jan 26, 2016
(((Aisling)))) Thinking of you and hope you get some rest. It must be a big stress on you waiting to get things sorted. All I can do is send a big HUG

Aisling

Dec 5, 2015
Ireland
I am snowed under with application forms!! I won't bore anyone but have been really sick for past three weeks and able to do nothing! Nursing home don't know if they can continue with emergency respite for T. It now seems to be from a day to day decision. Basically am in Limbo. I have to phone in morning to see if T is coming home pending full time care.

Can't do anymore tonight.

Aisling

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Oh dear. The forms do seem daunting. Just try and make sure you have every last bit of supporting documentation to send with them, so there'll be no delays. Is there anyone close to you who could help - solicitor even?
Hope you are better soon.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abba