nursing homes /heating allowance

Discussion in 'ARCHIVE FORUM: Support discussions' started by ben, Sep 1, 2006.

1. ben

ben Registered User

Mar 5, 2006
    Are you supposed to get the goverment winter heating allowance if you are in a care/nursing home ?

2. jenniferpa

jenniferpa Volunteer Moderator

Jun 27, 2006
  3. Kriss

Kriss Registered User

May 20, 2004
    Shropshire
    My Aunt still gets it but her house is still unsold. I assumed it was due to that but now you mention it I can't see how they would connect the 2 so I guess it must be for everybody.

4. jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
    This is the age concern leaflet about this
    http://www.ageconcern.org.uk/AgeConcern/Documents/FS1_0905.pdf

the relevant bits
    You are entitled to cold weather payments of £8.50 for each qualifying week if:

• the average temperature in your area has been, or is expected to be, 0 degrees
    Celsius or below for seven consecutive days; and
    • you have been awarded Income Support or income based Jobseeker’s Allowance
    for at least one day during the period of cold weather and you are getting
    disability premium or you are responsible for a child under 5; or
    • you have been awarded Pension Credit for at least one of those days and you
    are not in a care home.

You are entitled to a winter fuel payment if you are aged 60 or over in the week
    beginning on the third Monday in September (the qualifying week).

You are not entitled to a payment if during that week you fall into one of the following
    categories:

• you have been in hospital for more than 52 weeks;
    • you are getting Pension Credit, Income Support (IS) or income based Job
    Seeker’s Allowance (JSA) and you live in a care home and have been in the
    home for the 12 preceding weeks;
    • you are subject to immigration control;
    • you are serving custodial sentence.

5. ben

ben Registered User

Mar 5, 2006
    #5 ben, Sep 2, 2006
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2006
    Thank you for the help

Thanks for the infomation .

ben

6. Kayla

Kayla Registered User

May 14, 2006
    Kent
    We had to pay some of Mum's winter fuel allowance back after she went into a care home. We asked about it, and they wouldn't have taken action if we hadn't, but it is intended for people living in their own homes. She still gets Attendance Allowance and the Registered Nursing Care Contribution because she is in a Nursing Home now.

7. chip

chip Registered User

Jul 19, 2005
    Scotland
    Do you get this for younger people with Dementia? As my husband feels the cold in the winter and i have to keep the heating on

8. jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
    Have you seen these
    http://www.eagagroup.com/grants/warmdeal/qualify.htm
    http://scotland.shelter.org.uk/advice/advice-4450.cfm

It looks as if you might be eligible for the cold weather payments.

Incidentally chip, have you looked at the independant living fund (I don't know whether it operates in Scotland)? Someone my mother knows (under 60) who is confined to a wheelchair following a stroke gets a tremendous amount of help from them (wrongly, in my opinion, but that's another issue) http://www.ilf.org.uk/home/index.html

Jennifer

9. Nebiroth

Nebiroth Registered User

Aug 20, 2006
    #9 Nebiroth, Sep 2, 2006
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2006
    I seem to recall that there were a lot of complaints that relatively able-bodied, fit persons over 60 got the Winter Fuel Allowance, while those under 60 with disabilties which made them house-bound or in a wheelchair, did not. So it is age based

To get Cold Weather Payment you or your husband would need to be getting Income Support. People who qualify should get the extra payment when the weather meets the conditions.

You might be better off looking at Disability Living Allowance instead.

If your husband gets a certain level of DLA, then perhaps you could apply for Carer Allowance, and you might qualify for Income Support as well depending on your earnings and savings.

You might also qualify for a "Warm Front" grant, too.

Perhaps you should speak to, say, Citzens Advice or the Benefit Enquiry Line.