1. Maggie42

Maggie42 Registered User

Mar 7, 2011
    East Midlands
    Hi Everybody,
    I was just wondering whether other people have had the problem of visiting a NH and finding their LO on a trip. This has happened to me a few times and it takes me about an hour to get there!!

I don't want to phone beforehand as I prefer to arrive unannounced to check on the care being given and also when I do phone about something I often have to ring half a dozen times before I can get a reply.

As these trips are not very frequent is it unreasonable to expect them to let me know he will be out? I have raised this with them to no avail.

Any advice would be appreciated as I get really upset when I miss seeing him.

Thanks for reading this.

Kindest regards

Maggie

2. Kevinl

Kevinl Registered User

Aug 24, 2013
    Salford
    Given that these trips aren't easy to plan you'd think it's not too much to ask they send a monthly (?) list of the dates by e-mail to at least the nearest and dearest so no one wastes their time as you've done. It seems technology and care, be it a home or the NHS haven't really engaged too much to date.
    I like the idea of the idea of the commando visits to check up on them (commando as in the sense of the element of surprise not a lack of pants). Could you not just ask them to keep you informed of any impending days out?
    On the plus side it's good that they get all these trips, so many homes don't bother that much.
    K

3. Maggie42

Maggie42 Registered User

Mar 7, 2011
    East Midlands
    Thanks for your reply and good to be reassured that it is not too much to expect to be told of a proposed visit, particularly when they know I live such a long way away.

Other similar instances of poor communication have been when the home has been closed because of D&V and we have only found on our arrival and there has been a notice on the door!!

Sometimes I feel that I am always moaning at them, but all I want is the very best care for my HB and that should not be too much to ask. I could write a book.....

Yes it is great that residents get some trips out, I am also aware of places where this doesn't happen.

Regards Maggie

4. Lindy50

Lindy50 Registered User

Dec 11, 2013
    Cotswolds
    Not quite the same issue, but I would really appreciate an email telling me what activities are happening within the home (where they know in advance, obviously). Mum's care home has a really good activities organiser who always says visitors are welcome to join in with quizzes, baking etc. I probably do join in about once a fortnight, but sometimes mum really wants to just sit in her room with me.

A quick email attachment of the programme would really help me plan my visits to best effect. I've asked for this but get a bit of a blank response....I don't think staff realise how much effort we may put into trying to visit at a good time when out loved one can get the most from it.

Lindy xx

5. Pickles53

Pickles53 Registered User

Feb 25, 2014
    Radcliffe on Trent
    Mum's care home used to have a diary sheet printed out for each month so I could pick up a copy in advance. Maybe this could be suggested? They also had a notice board in the entrance hall, which might also be possible.

6. truth24

truth24 Registered User

Oct 13, 2013
    North Somerset
    I know the residents in my OH's lounge go once a month on a Tuesday. He doesnt always go but avoId visiting that day. Have a chat to the staff to see what they can do.