nursing home

pumpkin31

Mar 26, 2020
Husband in nursing home facetimed him tonite and hes been wandering round the home all day and has been down at the nursing station hes supposed to be confined to his room hes has vascular dementia and alzheimers should not be wandering round mentioned it to the nurse and she said you cant stop him wandering its not safe for him to be wandering as he goes into other residents rooms dont think thats aceptable.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello @pumpkin31

My mother always wandered in her care home. It was thought quite acceptable even if residents did go into each other's rooms.

I knew as long as she was walking she was less likely to lose her mobility.

When my husband went into residential care I asked for his room to be used only for bed time. I wanted him to have some company from other residents and staff rather than being alone in his room.

Do you think this is what your husband may looking for?

Baker17

Mar 9, 2016
Husband in nursing home facetimed him tonite and hes been wandering round the home all day and has been down at the nursing station hes supposed to be confined to his room hes has vascular dementia and alzheimers should not be wandering round mentioned it to the nurse and she said you cant stop him wandering its not safe for him to be wandering as he goes into other residents rooms dont think thats aceptable.
My husband is also in care and he wanders all day long he has Alzheimer’s. Unfortunately there is nothing that stops him, even when I visit he only sits for a little while, it’s part of his illness and he can go into others rooms. If the staff try to stop his wandering he can become aggressive so as long as he’s happy to wander I have to accept it, at least I know he’s safe and can’t get outside where he would be a danger to himself.

pumpkin31

Mar 26, 2020
Hi thanks for the replies.Hes not supposed to be leaving his room cause of the corona virus, but it is true when they get stopped from wandering my husband would get aggressive but hes confined to his room for his own protection. Theres only the carers he can talk to as the other residents are far down the line with dementia and cant comunicate so theres only the carers. They put a cd player in his room but to no avail he still wanders.He was going to bed at 6 tonite so he wont be wandering round the home.

Abbey82

Jun 12, 2018
My Dad is in a nursing home and no matter what, he won't be confined to his room, he won't stay in his room and he very rarely sleeps in his room.

He's a constant wanderer and thats what he likes to do, when he is told no that is when he can become aggressive.

The new meds have helped, after a long battle to find something where even the most rarest of side effects affect him, he is better, but even if they locked him in his room, he would pull the door off the hinges, he's that strong.

The Home are doing great with him at the moment :)

pumpkin31

Mar 26, 2020
Hi Abbey yes my husband is a wanderer hes been wandering about the home this morning when hes supposed to stay in his room. But the concern is owing to this corona virus he also goes into other residents rooms but cause hes got dementia he wont be told so the home just lets him wander cause he too can get agressive when hes told what to do. They give him loraxapam to keep him calm but it effects his mobility and hes inclined to fall.

Abbey82

Jun 12, 2018
Hi Pumpkin, My Dad has been tried on all sort of medication but has been unable to tolerate any, other than some Lorazepam, however he was recently put on Quitiapine which we had to give our consent to, as its unlicensed for Dementia. It has made the most difference out of all drugs so far in helping him become more compliant and less aggressive.

pumpkin31

Mar 26, 2020
Hi Abbey got to be careful what my husband takes as he has a pacemaker and prostrate cancer they suggested Lorazapam but it has got a lot of side sffects but that is the best to keep him calm hes also on mementine. my husband was very aggressive when he was at home but it went physical and i was afraid for my safety more so when he couldnt get out of the house. A lot of side effects to these drugs.iknow with the Lorazapam hes very sleepy and his speech is sometimes slurred and they cause weight gain too which is not good.He was on anti depressants but as he was not moving around and sleeping nearly all day he got a deep vein thrombosis in his leg so he had to come off those so thats all the calming medicine hes on now apart from his general medicine.

Abbey82

Jun 12, 2018
Its very difficult Pumpkin isn't it ? My Dad was sectioned twice last year due to his behaviour and finding something was so difficult, he reacted so bad to much of the medicine that we lost hope of finding anything.

pumpkin31

Mar 26, 2020
Hi Abbey 82 the nursing home only gives him the lorazapam when needed as he is on mememtine now. Memory nurse called the home yesterday and asked how they were treating him but they dont know yet as he has been unwell with a chest infection thought it was corona virus at first so will have to wait at least two weeks before they know if the mememtine is working. Talked to him this morning and he seemed better not so confused as he has been.Asked what he had for breakfast and he said i had some sponge cake and he had had a cooked breakfast like he does most mornings.Think now he confuses time cause he has cake in the afternoon not morning.