Nursing Home Review?

katie1

Aug 5, 2014
Kendal Cumbria
When someone goes into a Nursing Home is there usually some sort of review after a few weeks of them 'settling in' attended by their key worker and senior member of staff to review care plans, activities, daily routine etc and so that family can ask questions etc? I know I can ask for this any time I just wondered if there is some sort of required regular or suggested system or something? I suppose all homes are different.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
My husband's home did have Careplan reviews every so often that I had to sign, maybe even annually, but I can't recall a settling in review.
Teething problems were sorted as they came up.
There were also monthly relatives and residents meetings with the manager when general matters were discussed and sometimes relatives would mention some grievance or other.

Last edited:

Dustycat

Jul 14, 2014
North East
We have review meetings about my Dad but we ALWAYS have to ask for one. They never suggest one to us. I would ask the manager what their policy is. X

Pete R

Jul 26, 2014
Staffs
When someone goes into a Nursing Home is there usually some sort of review after a few weeks of them 'settling in' attended by their key worker and senior member of staff to review care plans, activities, daily routine etc and so that family can ask questions etc? I know I can ask for this any time I just wondered if there is some sort of required regular or suggested system or something? I suppose all homes are different.

My Mom, although having been in a NH for around 6 months, entered into permanent care in March. One month later the SW instigated a review with a CPN, senior Nurse of the NH, me and Mom. It lasted over an hour and very intensive.

The SW said it was normal (for her LA anyway). Next one in 12 months time.

Lulu

Nov 28, 2004
In our case, katie, there were no reviews but staff did approach us if there was anything to tell. We also asked for information as and when we needed it and it was always given. Nothing formal though.

Isabella41

Feb 20, 2012
Northern Ireland
I work in the NHS. To comply with nationally agreed standards there should be regular meetings. Some call them case reviews, others call them case planning or just care management meetings. It doesn't really matter what they are called they should happen on a regular basis. The purpose is to discusshow the person is doing, if there are any issues and if so what can be done. This is all documented and a copy goes to the family with another one in the person's file.

Mannie

Mar 13, 2014
Bracknell area

You are right to be thinking that it is time for a review, I would ask for one, but maybe take some time to think through the agenda, and ask social worker Cpn for ideas about agenda items.

I do not have someone in a care home but one thing I figured out is that if you feel the need for certain things to happen then when discussed , ask for them to be included in the written care plan, this then leaves everybody on no doubt about what you want and what they should do , and this document is a living document in that it can change and develop over time.

Also if you have not completed a This is me type of document about your loved one, then this is a good thing to do, the carers will change over time and they will have something to refer to.

Good luck

sheila55

Feb 6, 2014
We had an initial review meeting after six weeks. After that we had a meeting to discuss Living Will etc. Now we have a review meeting every six months. Staff are very approachable so we can raise issues at any time. There are also open relatives get together style meetings held every three months. On top of all that the Care Home Manager holds a weekly? surgery hour where anyone can pop in to chat about concerns. I just assumed this was the norm. I find it very helpful to have this much involvement.