Nursing Home dilemma

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Hello again @OutdoorGal

It is still early days. It can take months for someone to settle. My dad was in an EMI home and although it looked fairly dire when I first saw it and was certainly not what I’d have chosen (dad went in for assessment after a stay in hospital so I didn’t have a choice) but I’m sure it was right for dad. The staff were very kind and knowledgeable but even so it took several weeks of trying different strategies to get dad settled. The one that eventually worked for him was letting him stay in his room when he wanted to. Sometimes the hustle and bustle was just too much for him.

I wonder if it’s worth having a word with his GP to see if your dad can be given anything to help him be calmer and settle in?

Again it may just be a case of needing time but it must be a worry for you.

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
AS @Bunpoots has said, it is still very early days. I think the aggression may also be part of the disease, not just frustration. My mother took several months to settle in. She would pack up her clothes every single day and I would unpack her every single day. This went on for about 2 months.

If I were you, I would speak to the GP regarding the possibility of medication to calm your father. My mother was on various medications for behavioural issues for years. Now, I must say, medications must be carefully monitored and not only by the home but by you also. By this, I mean your checking your father for any side effects.

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
You said in your initial post that your father was agitated and verbally aggressive when he was at home, so as Joanne says it seems to be a feature of the illness. The carers will be used to dealing with this type of behaviour and will hopefully find a way to help him to settle. I don't know if the CH have considered medication, they usually only use it as a last resort but it may be helpful.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
If his present home is not an EMI, they may not have the expertise to deal with aggression.

My mum was in an EMI and although it is not the sort of place that I would want to live in at the moment, it was exactly the right place for her and she was contented there.