Nursing home dilemma

SKD

So after a severe episode of agitation and aggression Mum has been in hospital for the past four weeks. Risperidone has calmed her agitation but she is no longer very mobile and the time has come for a nursing home. I have identified a home I feel comfortable with but although it is registered with the LA it dies not appear on the list of homes available for the 28 day funded care while awairing CHC assessment. Visited the only two nursing homes on list with good rating yesterday and was not keen on either - in one the lounge was a semi basement. Personally I think Mum is unlikely to receive CHC funding as she has no underlying health issues and the behavioural issues have now calmed. Mum has been and would be self funding for some time - particularly once her bungalow is sold. My instinct at the moment is to go for the self funding option but are there any pitfalls I should be aware for the future.

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
I would look at establishments that are within her budget, and assume that she wont get CHC, ( so hard to get) although continue with the CHC application.

if yu can project how long her money will last, you might have to give some thought as to the home you pick taking funded residents, and the possibility of her having to move if the fees are beyond SS budget.

I eventually did manage CHC funding for my now late mother- Partially sighted, double incontinent and an insulin dependant diabetic BUT not until an inoperable heart condition was added to the list.

SKD

Thanks @Jessbow - That's pretty much the line I've now taken. Very helpful discharge co-ordinator in the hospital has helped sort out the 28 day bed in nursing home of my choice - which is within our budget. Fingers crossed for a move this week - I should get final confirmation tomorrow.

SKD

A quick update - Mum has been in her new care home for two weeks now and has made great improvements - the care staff have her up, dressed and in the lounge every day. She is also now feeding herself - if with a rather eccentric use of cutlery! She is very underweight and the home are trying to improve her eating and calorie intake - lots of high calorie yogurts and drinks - but she is drinking reasonably well. She seems calm but cognition and mobility are very poor. The down side of the improvement is that CHC support is increasingly unlikely - we begin that process tomorrow.