Nursing home costs

sunshine

Apr 6, 2006
warwickshire
Thanks Amy and Ludwig

Thanks for your kind words.

In fact things have got better. Two of brothers have visited, as has my mother and all agree with me that it is not the right place for my dad. His social worker said this morning there is place at another 'home' that we are going to visit later, so hopefully it will be a more appropriate place. However I dont how people cope emotionally with seeing their parents in homes and we havent begun to look at the fees situation yet.

I know my father is safe and being looked after and I can take his beloved dog to visit anytime so am comforted by that.

Reading these messages is very supportive.

One more thing - why do people insist on saying things like 'my father has played bridge all his life and he is as sharp as a knife' etc etc. Do they think anyone would not do anything to avoid getting this cruel disease. One of my brothers mother in law actually said to me 'At least my husband died young and spared me all of this'!!

Anyway feeling much better

Sunshine

Amy

Jan 4, 2006
Hiya Sunshine,
The thing is people don't think before they open their mouths. So smile graciously, think "what a plonker",and just get on with caring for your dad.
Pleased that you are feeling better, and that your brothers are offering more support. It is so much easier when a family makes the decisions, spreads the inevitable guilt around a bit! How people cope with seeing their loved ones in homes? With a lot of tears, a lot of pain, a lot of grief, and, honestly, with some sense of relief.
Take care.
Amy