Nursing home closing

Jo_

Feb 19, 2019
Hello all,
I have been informed the Care Home where my uncle is will be closing. It has been on the market but it seems they haven't found a buyer. It's a big one, owned by one of the large care home groups. He has dementia and was moved there by the Local Authority and they cover most of his fees. Will the Local Authority oversee his move to a new care home? Has anyone had any experience of this happening to their PWD please? It's a real shame as the staff are wonderful and the environment is nice.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello @Jo_.

This will be a big worry for you. If you have the LPA for your uncle I would contact Social Services and ask what might happen.

You never know. Another large care home group might buy the home as a going concern and your uncle may just be able to stay where he is with no idea his home has changed hands.

Jo_

Feb 19, 2019
Hello @Jo_.

This will be a big worry for you. If you have the LPA for your uncle I would contact Social Services and ask what might happen.

You never know. Another large care home group might buy the home as a going concern and your uncle may just be able to stay where he is with no idea his home has changed hands.
Thanks @Grannie G yes it's a huge worry. He has been there several years. No LPA is in place. This care home group has other homes but I wonder if it will work if they aren't in his Local Authority area. I just can't even imagine the logistics of moving all those elderly vulnerable people into new places. So sad.

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
If he was placed there by the LA, it's their responsibility to find him a new home. There's nothing to stop you making enquiries of your own, to see what is available locally - you would need to ask any home you approach if they accept LA residents.

In the end it is the LA's decision but if you find a suitable place that will accept your uncle at the LA rate they would probably go along with it.

Jo_

Feb 19, 2019
Thanks for this @Jaded'n'faded, yes at the moment we just have to wait and see, but they have reassured me I can be involved in the move l, and it will all be done with compassion etc etc. Seems HC-One are closing or selling quite a number of their care homes at the moment.. Feel so sorry for the staff and residents especially with all the related covid stuff going on.