Nuisance Calls

Park

Nov 4, 2019
My mother in law keeps getting cold calls and she is finding it very upsetting, she is registered with the telephone preference service but they still keep calling. She doesn’t understand to just put the phone down and takes what they say as true! Any ideas of what we can do? As a last resort we will could change her number. Thank you in advance

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @Park you are welcome here and I hope you find the forum to be a friendly and supportive place.

My wife has dementia and was victim to scam callers when I wasn't at home. I got a BT phone that blocks nuisance calls and we haven't had such a call since. Having said that, my wife has now lost the ability to use a phone so that may be helping in my case.

Beyond that immediate problem, I hope you have time to take a good look around the site as it is a goldmine for information. When I first joined I read old threads for information but then found the AS Publications list and the page where a post code search can be done to check for support services in ones own area. If you are interested in these, clicking the following links will take you there

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/get-support/publications-factsheets-full-list

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/find-support-near-you

You will see that there are Factsheets that will help with things like getting care needs assessments, deciding the level of care required and sorting out useful things like Wills, Power of Attorney etc., if any of that hasn't already been done. There is also a Dementia Guide in the list.

Now that you have found us I hope you will keep posting as the membership has vast collective knowledge and experience.

RosettaT

Sep 9, 2018
Mid Lincs
My phone company allows me to block calls from unsolicited callers. The problem is she would need to note the number if your Mil couldn't directly add the number to the blocked callers list.
My mum was always ringing me up saying she had a call but had no idea what it was about or from, a real pain.

The TPS can't stop calls from overseas and these days it's easy to scam a number to make it look like a UK number that's calling.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
suzannep