NS&I Pensioner Bonds Extended.

Katrine

Jan 20, 2011
England
Applied for one in the first week, with power of attorney, still waiting to hear from them!

Have they taken payment? Did you send your letter signed for?

I bought both types on behalf of my mum about 2 weeks after they went on sale. My cheques have been presented and the sums debited from her bank account. Today I received a letter of acknowledgement from NS&I saying the Bond statements would follow in due course.

OH applied for Bonds on behalf of his mum about 3 days after I posted my application. Her Bonds show up online but OH has not had the acknowledgement letter yet. My mum's Bonds do NOT show up on her online record.

I've been having such trouble with NS&I since September. Letters back and forth about various things. Every week brings another letter or two either taking a small step forward or a step backwards again. :(

The place seems to be staffed by robots who have been programmed for single tasks. My last letter seems to have stumped them because I required a series of actions to be taken. They have completely ignored that letter and are bumbling on regardless.

They either have no managers, or are simply being overwhelmed. The government are rubbing their hands with glee and encouraging yet more sales, when it looks as if NS&I staff could do with a breather to catch up. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
I heard that NS&I took on extra staff to help with pensioner bonds . I believe they can only deal with those bonds and not other products. I think they are being overwhelmed . Couldn't buy online as their site crashed , as it was a free number dad held on the phone for about 25 mins before he spoke to anyone.

Dad bought some on the first day , he received an acknowledgement letter a week ago but no bond statements yet. His bonds are showing online.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
NS& I have managed to lose some of my premium bonds. I have the certificate, from the mid seventies but noticed they were not on an updated list so queried it. They say the are not mine . Luckily only for a few pounds but could have won the odd pound or two!

Last edited:

Witzend

Aug 29, 2007
SW London
NS& I have managed to lose some of my premium bonds. I have the certificate, from the mid seventies but noticed they were not on an updated list so queried it. They say thryvare not mine not. Luckily only for a few pounds but could have won the odd pound or two!

Presumably they show your holder's number? Do they possibly have you down under another, e.g. maiden name?

We found some old PBs from way back, just a few £, and weren't even sure who in the family they belonged to, but they were still on the system.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
I'm afraid they didn't have premium bonds when I was a maiden!
They have the bond number but the holder's number idea came later.
These were purchased in 1974 and I can recall buying them at the post office.
Bet they've won a million!!!

Katrine

Jan 20, 2011
England
I'm afraid they didn't have premium bonds when I was a maiden!
They have the bond number but the holder's number idea came later.
These were purchased in 1974 and I can recall buying them at the post office.
Bet they've won a million!!!

Have you written to them with a photocopy of the Bond certificates? I would ask them to confirm in writing whether:
a) these Bonds exist on their records at all
b) there are unclaimed prizes against any of the Bond numbers
c) these Bonds are listed as cashed in.

If they refuse to give you answers because you are not recorded as being the registered Bond holder, write again and ask how to register your Bond numbers. It might be only a few quid, but it's the principle of the thing! They've had the use of your money for 40 years, without paying interest.

My guess is that you sold them. Then they might not have a record of those old cashed Bonds. They should, but in the transfer from paper records to digital, things can go awry.

Last edited:

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
My guess is that you sold them. Then they might not have a record of those old cashed Bonds. They should, but in the transfer from paper records to digital, things can go awry.
Sorry? I know haven't sold any bonds and these are for so small a sum, I wouldn't bother!
Years ago, when we couldn't afford to fund a new gear box, I sold our piano - far more lucative!
As you said, it is the priciple of it - and my missing million!

The letter said that I was not the owner and couldn't divulge the name of the owner as it contravenes data protection.
Had I not bought some of a far more substantial sum a couple of years ago , and they then sent me a listing of all the bonds I held, I would have not known anything about these being missing. It's taken me about 5 years to get around to writing as I've been too busy with my husband's affairs.

I really only mentioned this in passing with reference to the inefficiency of the NS&I.
Please - just forget about it but thanks for the suggestions!

Raggedrobin

Jan 20, 2014
Katrine, no, they haven't taken payment for the bond, I shall be glad when they do because then I will be making progress. I am just going to sit tight for another couple of weeks, after the problems getting through to them the first time, I can't be bothered to phone again. i should have sent the form recorded but I didn't. At least with the extension it seems that everyone will get bonds.
In fact despite the news they are extended due to their popularity, I wonder more cynically if they were extended because there wasn't the sell out uptake the chancellor imagined? not having enough staff to deal with a rush doesn't mean the number of applicants is overwhelming, maybe just that the number of staff is underwhelming. Just a thought while I twiddle my thumbs waiting.:D

Katrine

Jan 20, 2011
England
See what annoys me from the get-go is there's a single address for NS&I. I always put the specific investment above this, e.g. Customer Service Team, Premium Bonds. Probably makes no difference.

I can imagine a room where there are piles of 65Plus Bond application forms, without cheques, and boxes of cheques without application forms. Somewhere around June, after the government's 3rd extension to the sale period, a bunch of students will be thrown into that room and told to match the forms to their missing cheques. :rolleyes:

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
Not a problemat all.
I suffer from absolute inertia - so the possibility of me ever getting around to doing anything like selling bonds is very unlikely.
I even am still with the original seperate fuel providers for gas and electricity.
One day......................... :eek: