NS&I over 65 ( pensioner bonds) and POA

tre

Sep 23, 2008
Herts
I was thinking of applying for this for my husband under POA. I have the relevant form ( thanks Nitram) but I am a bit put off by having to enclose a certified original copy of the POA.
I only have a couple of these and it would be costly if it got lost so generally I have either turned up in person with it to a local branch of whoever needs to see it or, in the case of his pension provider, telephoned in advance so I can send it to a named individual within the organisation and then sent it signed for on delivery. I hate the idea of it going to no-one specific within a big organisation.
Has anyone else successfully done this and had it safely returned?
Tre

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Not a reply to your question but note that the NS&I ask for additional information to be written on the certified copy:-

The certifier must also clearly print their full name, indicating their occupation or the capacity in which he or she is providing the certification, address, daytime phone number and affixing any relevant official stamp. Members of professions should indicate their institute membership number if possible.

This is not required in 3 (1) of the >>>Power of Attorney Act 1971<<<

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Don't understand 'my certified copy', they request official stamps, institute membership number,..., who signed the copies

If you have OPG validated copies they don't have any extra writing they are pierced like the originals. I had these for my wife, you got two free in the early days, and had problems with some institutions because each sheet was not signed. I got a letter from the OPG saying they were valid and used to send a copy of this with the validated copies.

Katrine

Jan 20, 2011
England
Hello Tre. I sent one for my mum, and OH sent one for his mum. Both have been safely returned to us by NS&I.

PeggySmith

Apr 16, 2012
BANES
Hi Tre, yes we sent a certified copy of the POA for MIL and it came back safe and sound. They wrote to us today asking that the NH confirm MIL's residency.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Can I ask how much you paid for your copies if you state they would be costly to replace? Even here in London certified copies can be obtained for a fiver each, and while this is still money you don't want to lose, it can hardly be called prohibitive.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
"...Even here in London certified copies can be obtained for a fiver each..."

A P&FA LPA has 12 sheets minimum, if the fiver is for all 12 sheets that's a real bargain.

Katrine

Jan 20, 2011
England
We've been lucky. Both my mum's and my MIL's solicitor will provide extra certified copies free of charge. They are the ones who managed the creation of the originals. I suppose you would have to pay if you were asking a new solicitor to do it.

tre

Sep 23, 2008
Herts
Thank you everyone. As others have had success then I might get brave and risk it.

Nitram, the copies are certified by the solicitor who arranged the original POA . each page has their stamp and is individually signed by the issuing solicitors. From memory I think I was charged £35 per certified copy back in 2009.

I am surprised that a certified copy would cost as little as £5 as the document runs to 25 pages each with an original solicitors signature and knowing the solicitor's hourly cost I would not imagine £5 would cover their time.

Tre

tre

Sep 23, 2008
Herts
Well I did send off the POA and it has mercifully been returned today together with a nice covering letter from NS&I saying they were returning it without delay on the assumption it might be needed to be presented to ther organisations.
I am very relieved. Well done NS&I.
Tre

Karjo

Jan 11, 2012
better than the DVLA then as they never returned the copy to us despite a letter asking them to.
This copy was made at our local tax office though and was FOC and they said could be used for anything to do with the government so I suppose I can just go and get another one if necessary.
We also paid £30 for one from a solicitor so we could deal with mums private pensions if necessary. They had not done the original p of a , they said it would have been £5 if they had. But we saved a lot doing our own p of a in the first place i suppose. Though it would have been far easier at the time for me to use a solicitor, mum had other ideas and totally refused to see one .Deep down I think she was scared of seeing anyone official.

Raggedrobin

Jan 20, 2014
i got mine back from NS&i a couple of weeks ago with the same covering letter. Sadly still nothing to say the bond has been issued, but at least getting the POA certificate back means the application arrived!

Raggedrobin

Jan 20, 2014
Now I have just had a letter from them saying they need identity proof for me, but I don't rememeber that being a requirement in the form?:confused:

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
"... saying they need identity proof for me, but I don't rememeber that being a requirement in the form..."

Before we accept an application, we may make electronic checks on the identity and address of the holder and the attorney, receiver or deputy. We may also ask for documentary evidence.

Top of form.

http://www.nsandi.com/files/publish...ed-growth-bonds-application-form-attorney.pdf

I don't think it will affect the start date of the investment.

Raggedrobin

Jan 20, 2014
I am thinking now that it is probably because I used my mother's address, not my own, I suppose if they checked I am not officially living at Mum's as yet. I hope it doesn't affect the start date, at this rate poor Mama may have parted her mortal coil before the bond begins.:D

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skituscany