NPH and chest infection

mumofthree

Apr 11, 2011
Lancashire
Hello
My Dad (Alzheimer's) is still in the local community hospital originally pending a case conference on Friday. He developed a head cold at the weekend which has turned into a nasty chest infection. Antibiotics began yesterday but a chest x ray has been ordered as his chest sounds 'wetter' than it should apparently.

On top of that, he was taken for a CT scan on his head due to the falls he's been having, and they found he has Normal Pressure Hydrocephalus meaning effectively he has more fluid than he should in his brain. We now have to wait for a 2nd opinion from a neurosurgeon at a different hospital.

Meanwhile we have found a care home we are happy with and who have assessed Dad and are happy to have him...they are currently holding the room for him but I'm now concerned that these new problems are going to delay things....the case conference has been postponed, although the GP is as mystified as us as to why there needs to be a case conference - her opinion is that he needs residential care, as do the ward staff, and we too have come to the same conclusion sadly. It seems that the SS have requested the case conference but I'm struggling to speak to them to find out why.

It felt that things were moving smoothly and now all is up in the air again :confused:

mumofthree
x