Now tissue is good rubbish

ellejay

Jan 28, 2011
Essex
apparently. Went to see mum today & as always, looked to see if her tele remote had turned up (it's been missing at least a month). Every drawer I opened contained a mountain of used tissues. I have to find a carrier bag to offload it in as mum's rubbish bin has gone, probably keeping the remote company :rolleyes:

Mum is glued to my side, fretting over what I'm discarding, even though I'm showing her what it is that's going (despite the fact that some of it doesn't bear close scrutiny :eek:)

I know it unnerves her, but I can't just leave it. She waited 'til I'd tied the bag & then said I'd thrown good rubbish, so we had to tip it all out so she could go through it again before I was allowed to finally dispose of it.

I tell you, my antibac hand cleaner worked overtime today :D

Lin x

Last edited:

Dazmum

Jul 10, 2011
Horsham, West Sussex
OOh Lin, that sounds horrid :eek: My mum wraps other things in tissues and hides them or throws them away. That's what I suspect has happened to the seven pairs of glasses that have now gone :(

Noorza

Jun 8, 2012
Gross I know it doesn't help you, but I found my remote control after a few months today. I have had a new sofa and didn't know they had velcro removal sheets at the back in case anything falls down the back and gets wedged in the sofa.

Sorry no help to you though.

skaface

Jul 18, 2011
Ramsgate
Before my best friend's mum was finally diagnosed and put in a care home, she used to squrrel away soiled underwear and Allison had to creep around at night locating it and putting it in the wash.

She was spending a fortune on buying her mum new underwear as well. Mind you she was also having to clear up excrement off the carpet at night.

clio_7

Dec 28, 2012
north lanarkshire
Hi elle jay

I had the same problem with my dad. He loses remote,dogs extendi leash ,glasses, I got a 4 wuad beeper I'll send u a link gor it. I hid one in specs case, stuck one on under side of remote one on dog's leash. .. I used to spend hrs looking for things now I just keep the main unit, press the color of beeper ie red is specs and it bleeps. .. Amazing penetrates walls.

Its life changing. . Lol

Clio

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Talking Point mobile app

skaface

Jul 18, 2011
Ramsgate
Also my mum has a mountain of recycling in her kitchen, I've already put it in the recycling bin once and she just fished it out again. I keep meaning to go round and stuff it in my car to take to the recycling centre but every time I go round and spot it I think "Oh, forgot about that again" and promptly forget until the next time I go round.

Thankfully it's all been thoroughly washed and dried, if it hadn't have been her kitchen would stink to high heaven!

ellejay

Jan 28, 2011
Essex
Mum can't be the only person in the CH to squirrel away rubbish, so you have to wonder how big the tissue mountain would have to be before the staff got rid of it.

I also undid a make up bag to find crumbled biscuits mixed with scrabble tiles :confused:
Lin x

at wits end

Nov 9, 2012
East Anglia
My gran is fixated with bags in her CH, she takes out the ones they put in her paper bin if they havent been used and keeps them in 'case I need them'. She also squirrels away the ones her pads come in. She keeps half her clothes in bags round her feet, the CH staff go in and rummage when I take her out for a walk and they fish out anything nasty for the wash, but on the whole they say packing her stuff into bags soothes her so they let her continue.

tiggs72

Jul 15, 2013
My dad love kitchen roll! We find it folded in neat squares all over the flat! No idea why he does it - we go through about 4 rolls a week.

Yet if he spills anything or drips anything he will use anything but the kitchen roll to clean up!!!

Oh the joys!

X

Hair Twiddler

Aug 14, 2012
Middle England
Oh yes.
Mum wraps things in tissues. (Not so much nowadays thankfully). She has so many odd earings in her jewellry box, all were individually wrapped before I persuaded her to 'liberate' them. I guess that the matching pairs are long gone - picked up and disregarded as "bits of rubbish". Of course it's my fault that so many are missing:eek:

Jaycee23

Jan 6, 2011
uk
My mum also has tissues everywhere. She is also obsessed with swapping handbags. When I go to visit she always has a different bag which she stuffs under her jumper just in case anyone tries to steal it! She puts the shoulder straps actually under her clothing and looks pregnant. She also stuffs ornaments she has collected from the home :D and wrapped them in her underwear (sometimes soiled) and stuffs them in her handbag. All her clothes are put in a dustbin bag or the pad bags which she has ready for when she is going home. She fits wedges of paper in her room door jam and when you open her door you hit a arm chair that she has pulled towards the door to stop anyone going in her room. It must be really stressful to have all that mistrust going on in your head. Really sad, my poor mum! :mad:

ellejay

Jan 28, 2011
Essex
I found a pillow in the bottom of mum's wardrobe that I had to replace very carefully to hide her things so "they" didn't take them . ( Quite a few of the "things" are not hers :eek: )

Mum also gets hold of hygiene gloves & insists she wears them when she goes out :eek: doesn't matter how often & how visible I leave her proper gloves, she manages to find the others. (I fear they are used ones)

Lin x

janma221

Apr 23, 2013
Powys
My mother has a stack of tissues and always offers them as if they were sweets with a "Go on have one" looks quite perplexed if I don't want one. Almost like a comfort blanket to her I guess. She keeps saying she has lost her money (it's in the safe at the CH she is in).

simpknt

Jan 8, 2013
Wrapping things in tissues

I wish my partner, Janet (Dementia), had only wrapped ornaments in tissues! Fortunately, she stopped doing it after she was prescribed senna tablets!

David

Chook

Jun 14, 2013
Westcountry
My mum's started doing this too! Mum started buying loads of packs of tissues and had a pack in every part of the house. Recently she's started using them, leaves them to dry and folds them back up. So gross and whenever I'm there I use my own tissues now because I'm not really sure which ones are clean. :-/

One of lives little gems I suppose, we might smile about it one day.

Chook
x

steffie60

Jan 22, 2013
Hampshire
Funny behaviour to us, amongst other tissue habits my mother carefully tears a tissue and then wraps up the packet of polo mints. Perhaps it is to keep them warm:)
Seriously though it drives me mad tiny torn tissues everywhere but my fault, I buy and supply her with the tissues, I do not want to wash used hankies. Odd I can clear up poo and everything else but used hankies - oh no thank you!

angecmc

Dec 25, 2012
hertfordshire
Funny behaviour to us, amongst other tissue habits my mother carefully tears a tissue and then wraps up the packet of polo mints. Perhaps it is to keep them warm:)
Seriously though it drives me mad tiny torn tissues everywhere but my fault, I buy and supply her with the tissues, I do not want to wash used hankies. Odd I can clear up poo and everything else but used hankies - oh no thank you!

I know exactly what you mean, it used to be one of Mums behaviours to tear up tissues, unfortunately since she has been in carehome, she has insisted on having proper hankies :eek: and yes they are disgusting, but I cannot get her to go back to paper tissues, thank goodness I do not have to wash them, have to be careful when I am looking for things for her though, as I sometimes come across them in odd places :eek:

Ange

MeganCat

Jan 29, 2013
South Wales
How bizarre that it's so common! When I visited my mum I'd spend a good 20 mins rounding up tissues - bathroom windowsill, china cabinet surfaces, under her pillow and duvet, down the waist of her trousers :eek: in crystal bowls, kitchen work surfaces, under cushions on the sofa,
Used knickers were in various drawers
Her other thing was the dogs poo bags (I bought nappy sacks) she'd put things for safekeeping in a nappy sack and tie a knot in the bag - rings, sweeties, lighters, coins - had to be careful not to throw them out without checking