1. Bunpoots

Bunpoots Registered User

Apr 1, 2016
    Nottinghamshire
    I certainly don’t expect to see anything of my brother but my sister might still stay in touch - as long as I don’t need any help in a crisis!!

So I suppose I should look out for our own interests .

As I’ve almost finished probate - just the house sale to go through now - would it be possible to hand it over to the solicitor to check and sign it off?

2. canary

canary Registered User

Feb 25, 2014
    Female
    South coast
    Yes, of course - and it would cost less than if they had done everything.
    Go and talk to one and find our how much they would charge.
    The solicitor would transfer all the money to the inheritors, so it would come from them, not you.

3. Shedrech

Shedrech Volunteer Moderator

Dec 15, 2012
    Yorkshire
    hi @Bunpoots
    I too think it a good idea to have a solicitor involved
    I am estranged from my sibling, yet somehow they thought we would work together as executors ... I don't fully trust them, which I didn't say upfront, but did say I prefered that dad's solicitor sort out the estate (there was one issue that involved a trust and I was tired of dealing with everything) ... I stepped aside as executor so they could take on the responsibility as they agreed to have the solicitor deal ... I have reassurance that they wil have to have acted correctly
    so involving a solicitor will stop any future attempts at comeback against you and will keep it all at a distance ... worth it, I decided, for the peace of mind

by the way, not all all implying you are not to be trusted, simply that having a professional involved acts as a buffer between the executors/beneficiaries

really glad you yourself have half the house ... that's what your dad wanted and ensured would happen so do not for a second consider sharing the proceeds with anyone other than your own nuclear family

4. Bunpoots

Bunpoots Registered User

Apr 1, 2016
    Nottinghamshire
    Thank you all for your thoughts and suggestions. I think I will hand over the probate to the solicitor and they can deal with that and the sale of the bungalow at the same time. There’s a trust involved in dad’s estate too so although the probate is straightforward the bungalow sale is a bit complicated. I’ve just been and signed the contract with the estate agent so bungalow goes on the market today.

I’ll be glad when it’s all over!

5. canary

canary Registered User

Feb 25, 2014
    Female
    South coast
    Make sure that you explain to the solicitor why you are doing this, so that they are aware of discontent among your siblings. Do not suggest that your half of the bungalow is in your dads estate, make sure they are aware that half of it belongs to you (I seem to remember that it came about because your mum wanted her half to go to you instead of to your dad when she died). I know that you will have all the paperwork because you had to get it for the LA. Give that paperwork to the solicitor.

6. KathrynAnne

KathrynAnne Registered User

Jun 6, 2018
    Female
    South Yorkshire
    I just wanted to add my agreement with other posters. Your Dad made the decision to give you half the bungalow before he got dementia so you know that was his wish - you should definitely have it. It sounds like he was also sure about what he wanted when he made his final Will so you should fulfill his wishes for the remaining half. I also agree that engaging a solicitor for the probate on the sale of the property will be money well spent. Good luck with it all xxx

7. Bunpoots

Bunpoots Registered User

Apr 1, 2016
    Nottinghamshire
  8. Grannie G

Grannie G Volunteer Moderator

Apr 3, 2006
    Kent
    Hello @Bunpoots.

If there is likely to be any complications regarding the estate of your dad and there do seem to be, the cost of expert legal advice and action is money well spent. It takes all the responsibility and possible recrimination off your shoulders.

9. Kikki21

Kikki21 Registered User

Feb 27, 2016
    Female
    East Midlands
    I agree with what the others have said @Bunpoots & then you can’t be accused of any wrong doing by your siblings. And ****** off to your siblings about your half. Your half is your half, end of! Good luck with the sale!