Nothing wrong

mel

Apr 30, 2006
Sheffield
Hi Ken
I'm so glad you find it helps to talk about your experiences.......and it certainly helps me to understand more about mum.....thank you
Love Wendy xx

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
That could explain what happen to my mother , that way its so good that she go to day centre and keeps active , but on the days she does not go to day centre she lay in bed all day , its not that I mind its just sad to see , but with my mother and I find it amazing that she can be in a deep sleep then just wake up & say she has not been sleeping , l but she does not realise it that she fells asleep as it can happen even when sitting in her chair, I don’t worry about it anymore if she can’t sleep during the night as long as the TV on in her room she happy as she says its company for her during the night , I can understand that as sometimes I even find it hard to get to sleep, so why fight it , I just get up when I can’t sleep at night time

I am use to having a siesta during the day from living in Gibraltar in my youth and seeing my mother can not help it because of the dementia, I don’t mind so sometime I stay awake late at night , have naps during the day My sleep Patten all over the place.

what medication are you on ?

Last edited:

KenC

Mar 24, 2006
Co Durham
Hello Margarita,

My medication is called something like exelon.

I have been to Gibraltar on two occassions and had a very relaxing holiday. This was one of only two places, I have had holidays at, and I managed to cope, as it was a much slower pace than this country. The other place was Malta. In fact they were so relaxing, I managed to go for short walks by myself without any worry.

Best Wishes
kenc

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Hi ken

I did a search on Lewy Bodies and found a forum , so pop in I was amazed to read about the sleeping issue that you was talking about early on in this tread , so similar to what happening to my mother who was told she had AZ in Spain , other carer in that forum said that look up for help in books of AZ , I suppose if I got it right AZ is the name of the disease , dementia is the symptoms , that’s why I find all dementia relate symptoms
Similar,different names like your one ,and many more even Parkinson , all different in a Name , but still dementia . if you get my point

would they offer you Ebixa at a later stage ? like did with my mother , as I read on TP that they do give it Aboard

Yes as Gibraltar is a small place, it was very easy when mum use to get lost ( before her medication kicks in) to find her , I could take her down Main street walk holding her hand as they was not cars going down that road , so mum did not find it so confusing, like she does with all the traffic in London.

Gibraltar It is a very idealistic place to bring up children & for the elderly also to retire to. I would of Stayed there if it was not for my daughter who was at university in England liveing in our home in England & diagnosed in England when she had a seizer in Gibraltar and told she had epilepsy in England , I was at a point in Gibraltar I was geting all the surport net work for my mother , but It all went wrong , with my daugher so had to be there for her that's Life !!

Last edited:

KenC

Mar 24, 2006
Co Durham
Hello Margarita.
Your right about one thing, Dementia is a big subject with many symtoms and variations, but some people us the name Alzheimers because they do not like the word Dementia. Its never bothered me, but I admit I had to accept the name when I was diagnosed, and its pointless using a different name because I don't like the word "Dementia". Like you I never realised that this illness was as big as it is. I suppose I had only ever thought of Senile Dementia, because it is not really well publicised, and I think we are all badly educated when it comes to things like this.
When it comes to diseases like Dementia, I think people need to be educated at School level, then when they get older we can understand things a little better, than we do now.
There is also another web site for Dementia with Lewy Bodies, which is called Lewynet, and I think it is based at Nottingham University. But most of the information is on the Alzheimers Society website.

I am not sure what happens when this drug stops working, but I suppose sooner or later I will find out, unless this government changes things again.

Best wishes.

kenc

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Ken

If you look up the word Mongol a person from Mongolia 2 (Mongol) offensive a person with Down’s syndrome.

Now that is where we should start education people, with the help of the Alzheimer's Socierty Challenge contact Oxford English Dictionary have it change

Senile suffering a loss of mental faculties (2) offensive a people suffering with a disease or ?

They did with the word Mongol / Down syndrome why not with the word senile?

Shall start a thread in the main room see what
Reponses I get

KenC

Mar 24, 2006
Co Durham
Hi Maragrita,

I can understand where you are coming from, but the English dictionary is full of contradictions. I really did not mean anything by passing those comments.
Sorry if I caused offence.

Best Wishes

kenc

bel

Apr 26, 2006
coventry
sory to be a pain

dear ken
dont worry about repling if not suitable
hubby is 60 has been ill for years own bussiness etc
he is and always been dylxiic
now frontal lobe dementia
he can not spell but i have told him about you so i think with your help it could help him if i spell things out for him
and i dont know i think maybe
i am cluthing at straws
love bel x

bel

Apr 26, 2006
coventry
dear ken
hubby looks like you good andwell can i help him and you he is dylxieis
but i have told him a bit about you and i think you could help each other
hubby had his own tiling firm for years
love bel

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Gosh No Ken

Sorry if I caused offence

No way did you do that , Just me geting a bee in my bonnet in trying to In trying to find a way to change people attitude in how they view dementia, its me lol that is going to upset every one. I do not perceive it as upsetting anyone just a positive move forward in people mind set , I am just trying to give hope support for future generation of how people in the future perceive dementia . where they a will they a way :)

KenC

Mar 24, 2006
Co Durham
Hi again Margarita,

Don't worry I was stuggling yesterday and it was not a good day for e-mails, in fact yesterday was not a good day at all.

I really think the only people who can start these changes are the Alzheimer's Society. They need to get new information printed and sent out to schools, explaining the disease, and then we may get somewhere. Ideally it should come from the Government or the NHS, but I do not think they are remotely interested, so its between the A.S, and the rest of us.
I am meeting some MPs in London at the beginning of next month along with the Society, and I am going to suggest we educate people a little better than we do.
I think this disease needs to be given a better public profile then we may get a better understanding. (Hopefully)

Best Wishes
kenc

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alanpotts