1. Welcome to Talking Point - an online community for everyone who is affected by dementia. Whether you have dementia or know someone who does, we will be there for you.

If you need help using Talking Point, read our Help pages or contact us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk

2. Hi everyone, Talking Point is back! We’ve updated the software in order to improve security, design, and the way the community works, and introduced some helpful features.

Find out more

Not Yet Diagnosed

Discussion in 'I have dementia' started by Gladys S, Dec 6, 2017 at 10:28 PM.

1. Gladys S

Gladys S New member

Dec 4, 2017
    hi there. "sorry for the long message". I have been to the doctors and referred to the memory clinic who have organised a ct scan. I have had about 10 different appointments for different bodies of the community regarding my well being. (I only went to the docs to say I am concerned about my memory. I am 63 years old and live with my husband who is a great support. The ct scan is next week then I have to wait for a further appointment to get the results. I have been keeping a diary of the "daft" pardon the expression, things I have been doing. I have had to stop driving after telling my doctor I was pulling in behind cars which were parked thinking they were at traffic lights further down the road. my husband was anxious by this time so I went to the optitions who have now referred me to the eye clinic because I have more double vision. so the doctor has said not to drive. that appointment is not till February 2018. another thing I did yesterday and similar a while ago was I was lighting the log fire with a fire lighter and could not work out how to hold it, I knew what to do to light it. ..........there are more things that have happened !!!.........I do have other medial problems, fibromyalgia and atrial fibrillation which i have 50% chance of a stroke) and osteoarthritis and depression. I know they are looking to check if my meds are causing my symptoms but I know deep down the things I have been doing are new, the last 12 months when I have had tablets and medical symptoms for a number of years now. I know I am not reacting and doing things as I have done for years...............................I am worried they will find some kind of dementia, (I have read so much about the different ones). if they don't then its a blessing that I am clear of it and am more aware of this awful illness people, friends and families have to contend with. I know i will then have to work with the doctors to change my meds to help what is going on with me. if I am I feel sure they will tell me I am in early stages and that it is due to my illnesses and medication. ..............................I just wanted to share this with someone who understands how I may be feeling before the diagnosis. thank you for reading.

2. Grannie G

Grannie G Volunteer Moderator

Apr 3, 2006
    Kent
    Hello @Gladys Smith

I'm so sorry to read your post and full of admiration for the way you are addressing the possibility of dementia. Let's hope it doesn't`t come to that and you have something treatable.

Whatever your diagnosis, please keep in contact with Talking Point. There will be a lot of support and understanding for your condition. I remember the time before my husband was diagnosed and indeed it was the most stressful time we had ever had.

3. Shedrech

Shedrech Volunteer Host

Dec 15, 2012
    Yorkshire
    hi Gladys
    just wanted to say hello and welcome too
    whatever is happening with you, I'm glad you found TP to be able to write it all out and get it off your chest - it helps
    so keep posting
    and write as much as you want, folks here will read it through

4. Gladys S

Gladys S New member

Dec 4, 2017
    are there any newly diagnosed people on here themselves. I go for my ct scan tomorrow after being with the memory clinic. could I ask a few questions please
    would they send me for a ct scan if they didn't suspect me having some form of dementia. yes, I know you hear "they just want to rule out".
    how long was it before you had the results of the test, I have to go back to the memory clinic but don't have the appointment yet.
    was you told you did not have dementia, if so, what was the outcome.?
    you could probably tell I am getting worried now.
    " thank goodness for spell check coz words and spelling are no too good just now.