Not Wanting to Eat or Drink

MrsMoose

Oct 1, 2014
How common is this?

My father in law used to forget to make himself eat or drink - but for the last year he has been in a care home, where his meals are cooked and there is morning and afternoon tea/coffee or well. But he has started to not want to eat or drink.

He isn't depressed that we can see.

The staff said I might be related to raised PSA levels in a recent blood test - he's not being investigated for prostate related treatment in view of his age and frailty. But how common is this in the latter stages of dementia. (Are the movements relating to chewing and swallowing just too tiring/difficult?)

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Certainly chewing and swallowing can become an issue. I would think your FiL should be checked by a member of a SALT team if that hasn’t been done already.

I hope you get a resolution.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Do get her checked by the SALT team. Other things that can dissuade them from eating are ill-fitting dentures, mouth ulcers and oral thrush, so its worth checking these out too

Sometimes people with dementia stop eating and drinking for a few days and then suddenly start again
Mum stopped eating , but chocolate buttons (she loved them) got her eating again.

MrsMoose

Oct 1, 2014
Just to update you. We've talked more to the care home staff and it seems likely that the loss of appetite is linked to cancer, and my father in law may only have a few months to live. I may be back, but I just wanted to say now how useful I've found this forum. Really grateful to everyone who has responded to various points I've made. Wishing you all well as you carry on caring...

Amy in the US

Feb 28, 2015
USA
Hello, @MrsMoose. I recall your previous posts and while I am sad about your news, it is nice to "see" you here again.

I hope you are able to get appropriate care for your FIL. Best wishes to you and your family and please have some (((hugs))).

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
robbertm