Not treating uti???

Margaret79

May 11, 2010
Wisbech, Cambridgeshire
What is going on? On top of my other woes I now have a bit of a problem with the Doctors :(:(

MIL has had a urine infection and has had 2 lots of antibiotics. As requested I have tested her urine this morning, a week after she finished the last lot of antibiotics. It is still testing positive for nitrates and leukocytes so called first thing to speak to community nurse. She's on annual leave so duty Dr called.

He said that all people in her age group have bacteria in their urine and we don't treat it unless she has a temperature or is out of sorts. I said she hasn't got a temperature and who knows if she's out of sorts as she's all over the place at the moment, is that dementia or uti????

Can't really get my head around not treating her, talked to the care home when I took her to daycare who couldn't understand his reasoning.

Have now called again and asked for our own GP to call. This won't be until Monday so will just have to wait and see. I'm away Saturday morning til Monday night so Himself will have to deal with whatever the weekend throws up. I'll be in York playing with granddaughters :D:D:D:D

balloo

Sep 21, 2013
northamptonshire
What is going on? On top of my other woes I now have a bit of a problem with the Doctors :(:(

MIL has had a urine infection and has had 2 lots of antibiotics. As requested I have tested her urine this morning, a week after she finished the last lot of antibiotics. It is still testing positive for nitrates and leukocytes so called first thing to speak to community nurse. She's on annual leave so duty Dr called.

He said that all people in her age group have bacteria in their urine and we don't treat it unless she has a temperature or is out of sorts. I said she hasn't got a temperature and who knows if she's out of sorts as she's all over the place at the moment, is that dementia or uti????

Can't really get my head around not treating her, talked to the care home when I took her to daycare who couldn't understand his reasoning.

Have now called again and asked for our own GP to call. This won't be until Monday so will just have to wait and see. I'm away Saturday morning til Monday night so Himself will have to deal with whatever the weekend throws up. I'll be in York playing with granddaughters :D:D:D:D

ended up in hospital after 2 lots of antibiotics still did not clear uti although she had temp we could not bring it down. 3 days in hospital with me staying with her 24 hrs we final given a potatasium drip as she was very low and should of been given dif antibiotic through dri instead horse pill size which she almost choked on. suggest you call them out we had to as MIL ended up bed bound. I must admit our Gp if very helpful although hospital were not.

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
Sorry to hear your MIL may be ill again

I don't understand his reasoning either.
When mum had dementia I don't recall her ever having a temperature when she had an infection , sometimes cold n clammy but never hot.
That doc imo doesnt know or I hate to say this, care, that older people and people with Dementia often don't have the usual symptoms of infection that we would have.

I know ou have made arrangements for your own GP to call but don't hesitate to call the out of hours service if you need to.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Sorry to hear your MIL may be ill again

I don't understand his reasoning either.
When mum had dementia I don't recall her ever having a temperature when she had an infection , sometimes cold n clammy but never hot.
That doc imo doesnt know or I hate to say this, care, that older people and people with Dementia often don't have the usual symptoms of infection that we would have.

I know ou have made arrangements for your own GP to call but don't hesitate to call the out of hours service if you need to.

I would second every word.

Suzanna1969

Mar 28, 2015
Essex
I would second every word.

And thirded here. Sounds like the duty doc was just going through the motions and doesn't give a flying wotsit about the people in his care. I called the out of hours service for my Dad as he lost his mobility having been constipated for a week and they tried everything they could to avoid sending someone out. Eventually they grudgingly agreed to send out a nurse who said she couldn't do anything for him and left. A few hours later he became delirious and we called an ambulance. He was in hospital for 9 days and they found E Coli in his urine. Astonishingly they still didn't put him on fluids or antibiotics even though it was obvious he was dangerously dehydrated. The attitude of the NHS towards the elderly that I have experienced has shocked me so I am constantly pouring juices and cordials down Mum and Dad's necks because I fear if it happens again he won't survive it.

I've learnt in the last year that you have to kick and scream for everything and if you don't you just get disregarded. I used to be so polite too...:rolleyes:

Angie1970

Aug 5, 2015
I work with people with dementia and one of the first things we do when someone starts behaving out of the norm is get urine checked. We have a real problem with some GP's who say exactly the same as yours and "its the dementia". If your mum shows a pattern when infections are present it might help to talk to your normal GP and ask him if a note could be put on her file to say when antibiotics are needed or not. It might save problems in the future if the same occurs

Louby65

Mar 26, 2014
Scotland
Hello, my mum used to be very prone to having a uti and had a few courses of antibiotics but as she has renal failure, medics are not keen to continue giving her them which I feel is appropriate . However I researched alternatives and now give her , on occasions a compound called D mannose . I have to stress here that I DO NOT recommend this for everyone as I would suggest that it is discussed with GP first which I have done . If my mum is a bit out of sorts , I check her urine and if positive for infection I give her a couple of days worth of it and it seems to clear . Perhaps it's something you could look into as an alternative . Best wishes .

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

mrf94

Dec 17, 2014
huddersfield
I asked my gp if there was a way for me to check for uti,s at home he said no am i missing something here

mrf94

david

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
I asked my gp if there was a way for me to check for uti,s at home he said no am i missing something here

mrf94

david

Hi. their are dipstick tests you can buy, perhaps others who have used them can let you know where to get them. I have no idea how accurate they are.

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
Hello, my mum used to be very prone to having a uti and had a few courses of antibiotics but as she has renal failure, medics are not keen to continue giving her them which I feel is appropriate . However I researched alternatives and now give her , on occasions a compound called D mannose . I have to stress here that I DO NOT recommend this for everyone as I would suggest that it is discussed with GP first which I have done . If my mum is a bit out of sorts , I check her urine and if positive for infection I give her a couple of days worth of it and it seems to clear . Perhaps it's something you could look into as an alternative . Best wishes .

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Thank you for posting this as you have reminded me what I should take when I have an infection. I recently felt I had an infection, not urine but that wasn't checked, GP didn't ask and I can't remember to, unless its written down. Dr gave me a/bs which I took and initially felt better but it then caused my symptoms to flare very badly which I think may be an auto immune reaction to the a/bs. I believe my condition is auto immune in nature. Olive leaf extract is what has helped me in the past for infection, greatly, I too am not recommending it per se.:) Must write it down somewhere and tell GP when I next go.Thanks.

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
Lin1-you can buy them on Amazon-but I should think that Pharmacies sell them.

Margaret-sorry you are having to battle to get the treatment your MIL needs. My OH used to have almost continuous back to back UTI's. He did become resistant to two or three AB's BUT his GP carried on prescribing alternative ones-and he would have continued doing so until there were no options left. My OH passed away before that happened. So I would suggest that you phone your MIL's surgery and ask for a further visit from a GP. I could phone Pete's GP at anytime if I was worried about anything. They have a duty of care to each and every person on their books. I hope you don't have to remind them of that but if you do don't hold back. Politeness is not an option.

Love

Lyn T XX

jan.s

Sep 20, 2011
Hi Margaret

Sorry to hear you are having problems with MIL's UTI. I had a similar situation with Roger, when antibiotics didn't cure it, and the GP checked for a specific strain on infection and prescribed a particular antibiotic which treated that infection.

I hope you have more success with your regular GP.

Spiro

Mar 11, 2012
As suggested, you can buy dipsticks from pharmacies. However, from my experience, different brands can give conflicting results.

Ask the practice nurse at your surgery to give you some, then you'll be using the same brand.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
swaugh