not too good today

pammy14

Dec 5, 2005
leicestershire
Having a bad morning. Win couldn't get upatairs this morning so I had to try and wash her downstairs in the bedroom. Got bowl towels waterproofs etc but she couln't stand up for me to wash her nether regions which needed it as she wets at night.
WE WERE BOTH FALLING ABOUT MY BACK HURTING TRYING TO GET HeR TO STAND THEN SHE JUST WEED. i JUST SAT AND CRIED WHICH IS NOT ME i'VE NEVER CRIED IN ALL THE TIME i HAVE BEEN LOOKING AFTER HER BUT i THOUGHT i JUST CAN'T DO IT, i DON'T KNOW HOW TO WASH HER.

aNY WAY SUCCEEDE IN THE END, AND NOW SHE IS IN THE LIVING ROOM ASLEEP IN THE CHAIR. sHE DIDN'T SEEM TO NOTICE i WAS UPSET. HAD TO CANCEL DAY CARE AS DONT THINK SHE IS UP TO IT TODAY, Sorry about the capitals don'know what i am doing.

Luckily my treasure carere can come this afternoon while I am at work..

Feel better for talking to someone

Bye for now

Pam

Amy

Jan 4, 2006
Hiya Pam,
So sorry that you had such a bad morning. How are you feeling now? Do you feel that the situation is beginning to get to you, or was it just 'one of those moments'. If the former, then you need to get more support for you.
Has Win had trouble with the stairs before? Is she off colour today? Did she have anything to hold onto when you tried to get her to stand? Dad used to be able to get mum to hold onto the stair post, or the edge of the sink.(What about the kitchen sink if necessary) Would Win lie down and let you bed bath her? If this were to become a more regular occurrence, what about getting a carer in in the morning to help with dressing? (I know, easier said than done!) Right, my ideas are exhausted.
Hope tomorrow morning is better.
Love Helen

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Do you have a downstairs loo, or a commode? I was just thinking a sitz bath aka portable bidet might be helpful for this situation.

I hope you're feeling a bit better now. Once thing to be said for dementia - the sufferer doesn't retain any memory of upsets, even if you do.

Jennifer

Áine

Feb 22, 2006
sort of north east ish
hi Pam

have you tried getting assessed for any standing aids or equipment? there might be something that makes it easier. Red Cross do a useful loans service.

Last edited:

pammy14

Dec 5, 2005
leicestershire
Thanks for all your replies. Feeling much better, been to work and therefore had a break. I think she has had another TIA as she has slept almost all day,

This was the first time we had not been able to get up stairs and hopefully tomorrow will be back to normal.

I do have a toilet downstairs so perhaps a portable bidet would work. If I have to carry on washing her I will ring SS for a new red cross assessment. I only had one the other week for a bed riser and a rising chair but at that time I didnt need aid for standing/washing.

I have thought that if this carries on I may have to have a SS carer in to wash and dress in the mornings, when I first brought her to my house SS said I could have whatever care I needed so I suppose they will have to provide it now if I feel I cant manage.

thanks again

pam

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Dear Pam, have been, and am still going through the same as you.

Lionel has so many mobility problems, and for the past 6 months we have a paid carer in for one and half hours each morning to help me wash/shower and dress him.

Many are the days when we cannot get him to stand for long enough to wash the "nether" regions, and some days he cannot even hold the toothbrush. Our CPN has even been visiting on one of these bad mornings.....................

but really, what can be done. Grab rails etc need the patient to be aware of using them, and I agree, during the TIA's there is no awareness.

I was not happy at the level of care Lionel received when he went into a local home last January, and I brought him home. I have struggled to keep him with me since, with as much help as I can afford, but slowly realise that the time is rapidly approaching when I shall have to look for permanent placement for dear Lionel.

If he was like this all the time it would be different, but it is a case of "when he's bad he is very, very bad" other days we can just about manage. My carer now is asking for some respite, things are that bad.

My sympathies go out to you.....think it is time for a group hug. Love

Attachments

• hugs.gif
    hugs.gif
    27.4 KB · Views: 318

pammy14

Dec 5, 2005
leicestershire
not really any better this morning but managed washing better doing it in kitchen using table and sink to hold on to. I will give it till Monday to see if she returns to her normal then i will ask SS for a morning care assistant. Then we maY MANAGE A BIT LONGER AT HOME.

day care had to be cancelled again but hubby is at home today so no problem with sitting with her this pm.

Thanks for the hugs

Pam

pammy14

Dec 5, 2005
leicestershire
win much better today after 2 days of almost sleeping all day. Walked upstairs very slowly but at least able to use bath board and wash her hair thank goodness. She went out with our brother for the day and even visited an old friend. Looks like good progress

Pam

Amy

Jan 4, 2006
That's good to hear Pammy - just another little hiccough to keep you on your toes!!
Love Helen

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jliesman