Not talking much

DianeB

May 29, 2008
nottinghamshire
For a while now when I visit Mum, she hardly speaks, often in a word of her own. I try to involve her when I speak to her but it can be like I am talking to a brick wall, sorry to use phrases like this but thats what it is like. I am aware that Alzheimers in the end can deam a sufferer mute, is this what could be happening. Mum is enetering into the late stages, but since last weeks mini stroke her ability to speak seems to be vanishing. I was there for over 1 1/2 hrs today and during that time I think I got 3 small sentences, none of which made any sence. She closes her eyes but not alseep and when I say are you ok Mum she just nods so I know she can hear me.

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi Diane

I'm not a medic, but I'd guess that it's the result of the stroke. It could have damaged the language centre of the brain.

John's form of dementia means that he hasn't spoken more than the odd word for years, but his was progressive, not the result of a stroke.

My mum on the other hand had a stroke, and she talked absolute gibberish from then until she died.

You just have to get used to interpreting facial expressions, particularly if there may be pain.

It's hard, I know.

Love,

Lanie

Aug 31, 2008
Surrey
Hi

Although not speaking much your Mum will have great comfort from knowing your there.

I also think it may be the stroke that is the speech problem my Aunt is in the later stages of Alzheimers and talks quite well.

Thinking of you

Lanie

lilacwarm

Apr 5, 2008
u.k
hi .yes diane b we find conversation very limited when we visit. my mum has vascular dementia and is often in her own world and making non sensical conversation when she does talk. talking about somewhere else someone else something else. i hold her hand sometimes which is something akin to being a child myself again only this time i feel like the parent!

mum of two

Oct 3, 2008
beccles
Hi,
My mum has vascular diamentia & having a conversation with her is hard & you have to try & not stop as she will not know what to say. Sha drifts off to the past & is always saying that she jas to go home when she is at home already. She stares into space alot & see things that aren't there. I try not to make a big deal about it. She goes on about things that haven't happened.
It is hard to deal with but for somewhere you find that strength.
We must just remember that deep down they love us very much.They would love for someone to make them better if only!!

Mum of Two

DianeB

May 29, 2008
nottinghamshire
Went to see Mum last night and she seemed a little better. I suppose the only way I can deal with this is to take one day at a time, I try not to expect too much but it still hurts when I think she is entering into the next stage. There is nothing I can do to prevent this but be there for her on this terrible journey.

DianeB

May 29, 2008
nottinghamshire
Mum's had another stroke today :( Been by her side for 4 hrs now, just got home to do dinner then going back again later tonight. I managed to get her to bed for a couple of hours and left her in what they call the quiet room with a nurse by her side. Don't know yet what more damage this has left her with, it isn't yet 2 weeks since her last one.

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Dear Diane

So sorry to hear this. You must be so worried.

Please let us know how your mum is tonight.

My thoughts and prayers are with you all.

Love,

DianeB

May 29, 2008
nottinghamshire
Thank you for all your thoughts xxx

I went last night to see Mum, she was soooo tired. Although it was only 7.30 the care staff allowed me to get Mum ready for bed and tuck her up. So at least when I left her she was all wrapped up ready for hopefully a good nights sleep. I am going later to see her, so think this will be when I can judge exactly how she is.

This is obvious what they call mini strokes / TIP's although Mum as far as we are aware, does not suffer from V dementia but Alzheimers. I asked the care manager how often she felt Mum could have these and of course its an impossible question for anybody to answer really. She did say though that she thought that we should be prepared for a major stroke in the future and I have to agree with her. How often can these TIP's happen, and can the patient recover from these or is it that with each one there is further damage? ....I'm doing it again arn't I asking the impossible question?? :rolleyes::confused:

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello Diane

Even though we know everyone is different, my mother had TIAs [not TIPs] regularly and often but did not have a major stroke.
She died of her dementia.

DianeB

May 29, 2008
nottinghamshire
Hi Sylvia, thank you for your responce. Oppps my mistake too early in the moning lol. I correct myself TIA's.
Could I ask, did your Mums TIA's happen frequently, and was there much change in Mums condition after them? I have tried to google more info about them but I just can't find out much info and it makes it worse because for some reason my computer wont let me open files for e.g. the ones from this site and its so frustrating as they probably contain the info I am looking for :mad:
I fully understand if you don't want to answer my question, and if I upset by asking I apologise xxx

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello Diane

My mother`s TIAs were barely recognizable, and this is what I mean by everyone being so different.

They presented as absences for only a few minutes. I recognized them after having experience with children with special needs having epileptic absences, but was told in my mother`s case they were TIAs.

Her decline was very gradual but she seemed to lose her language almost overnight.

She was originally diagnosed with Alzheimers. Her cause of death was given as `Global Dementia`. There was no autopsy to prove otherwise.

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
My mum had TIAs too, Diane. In her case, it was just a momentary blackout. We could be walking round the supermarket, and she's say, 'I can't see very well'. She's satnd and lean against the shelving for a few moments, then she'd be OK, though a bit shaky.
She didn't have dementia.

She eventually died of a massive stroke, but she was 92, and had been having TIAs for years!

DianeB

May 29, 2008
nottinghamshire
On the two recent TIA's it seems Mum has slumped in her chair, and not been at all responsive for over 1/2 hr at a time. No matter what they do they can't seem to bring Mum round, it's like she is in coma like trance, and she definately isn't asleep. Its so worrying. Dad has rang the home today and they say that she seems ok today so later when I visit I should be able to see exactly what she is like. Thank you for your responces xxxx reading others experiences do definately help. ;)

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
Diane,
I haven't had experiences of TIAs (yet) - just to say I'm thinking of you. Try not to get too down. Everything seems to be happening to you at once.

Take care.

DianeB

May 29, 2008
nottinghamshire
Just spent an hr and 20 mins with Mum. Dad rang the home this morning and they told him she was back to her usual self walking around etc., When I got there she was shuffling and looked pretty dreadful to be honest. I took her to her room and tea was brought in. Mum looked very uncomfortable so I checked her pad and I think this was the reason. I completely changed her and washed and dryed her down, so she could at least feel a little better. However not a word muttered but a few nods etc., she fell asleep before even getting her to drink adn it took me ages to arouse her. She had a couple of biscuits and a small amount of choc but still no conversation ...makes me wonder if she hadnt got the energy. Anyway as we were about to leave the room she suddenly mummbled that she didn't feel right, so I got her to sit down and said maybe she is trying to hard and rushing when her body isn't up to it and she replied probably ...her only proper word. 10 mins sitting down I then got her to the 'quiet' room and sat by her side for another 20 mins whilst she slept. Just before leaving one of the carers helped me to get Mum into a more comfy chair and I left giving her a kiss and telling her I loved her.
I walked back to my car feeling like an empty shell, my emotions are draining me completely.:(