Not sure which group this belongs to

inomlas

Sep 30, 2020
Hi everyone,

The problem I have doesn't seem to fit in any of the groups here but I'm fairly new (just registered) so feel free to point me to the right place.

My father was diagnosed with Alzheimers. I'm not sure what stage but his memory is poor and behaviour not his normal self.

He and his partner are both British citizens and have lived in Normandy, France since 2005. They planned to move back to the UK as soon as they sold their chalet but didn't get any buyers and probably won't until summer next year. I myself live in England with my family.

After a lump was found in him, he went into a hospital 3/4 weeks ago (in France) to get it removed and examined. The procedure seems to have made his Alzheimers worse. After going back home, his behaviour was more erratic and he broke his leg after falling down some steps which meant another stay in hospital. He wasn't cared for well and stuck in a bed in a room with nothing to do.

He's being moved back to his home tomorrow but we want to get him and his wife back to the UK at some point in the near future (COVID-19 notwithstanding). I've investigated paying for an ambulance + crew to pick him up and bring him back which is expensive but we can manage that. The main problem is ensuring good care provision for him in the UK. His wife would remain in France for a short while to pack all their things up (including cats) before coming over to join.

My key questions are what kind of care provision can we get for him back in the UK and whether transporting him from Normandy to either Exeter or Cardiff is possible? If anyone has any experience with this situation, I'd be grateful for any advice.

Rosettastone57

Oct 27, 2016
No personal experience, but is he expecting to receive local authority funding or will he be self-funding? Much will depend on his financial situation.

inomlas

Sep 30, 2020
How long has he lived in France? will he be entitled to NHS care ?
He and his wife have lived there since 2005 but lived and worked in the UK all the rest of their lives. I'm honestly not sure if he's entitled to NHS care but he has to leave France because he won't meet residence requirements on account of the effects of his Alzheimers.

inomlas

Sep 30, 2020
No personal experience, but is he expecting to receive local authority funding or will he be self-funding? Much will depend on his financial situation.

He and his wife have the UK state pension and no other assets other than the chalet. I can support them to a degree but also have my own family to look after plus another set of parents to be considered.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
This is complicated and difficult.
I would reccomend that you phone the Alzheimers Society helpline 0333 150 3456.