Not sure what to say?

Charlie39

Dec 10, 2012
Dorset
So, today on the phone my Mum (diagnosed several years ago) was upset. This is the first time this has happened. She told me that she wakes up and feels different, that she knows there is something wrong with her but she can't understand what. Today she said she wanted to crawl away and hide. I don't live close, and if I did I would have gone straight round. What should I say to her if this happens again? Thankyou. X

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
Oh my gosh Charlie39, I do live close by and to be honest still don't really know what to say, so it must be so hard for you when you are too far away to visit easily.
Maybe just sympathise with her, blame the winter, blame the evenings drawing in so soon, blame this getting older thingy we're all stuck with, blame whatever she will accept ... give her a listening ear for a while and try to distract with some happy news (make some trifle up, if there is none really). Is there anything that will make her chuckle instead?
Is there anyone who does live nearby whom you could ask to pop in to see her tomorrow? Doesn't help with what to say at the time, though, I know.
Sorry - much sympathy; not much help :(

Charlie39

Dec 10, 2012
Dorset
Oh my gosh Charlie39, I do live close by and to be honest still don't really know what to say, so it must be so hard for you when you are too far away to visit easily.
Maybe just sympathise with her, blame the winter, blame the evenings drawing in so soon, blame this getting older thingy we're all stuck with, blame whatever she will accept ... give her a listening ear for a while and try to distract with some happy news (make some trifle up, if there is none really). Is there anything that will make her chuckle instead?
Is there anyone who does live nearby whom you could ask to pop in to see her tomorrow? Doesn't help with what to say at the time, though, I know.
Sorry - much sympathy; not much help :(

Thankyou for commenting. It's good to know people understand. I called again in the evening and she had forgotten all about it, thankfully. My Dad is with her, but he has his own issues and it is a struggle. I hate this evil thing. :(:(