Not sure what to do

Jaxx23

Mar 15, 2012
Mum was diagnosed back in February, she's 81 yrs this October, the last couple of weeks I have noticed that her short term memory has gotten much worse. Its the only main thing with her, she still has my dog every morning and walks her, showers, washes hair, does her washing, ironing and cooking. The only thing I notice she lacks in is perhaps not keeping the house as clean as she did, but happy to realise her age may have something to do with this.

The thing is, do I think about different medication?? She is on 10mg Acricept and has had no ill effects at all. I have read that changing (to what I have no idea) may have side effects, that to be honest I dont want to put her through. Do I get her GP involved or back to the Mental Health Nurse who ran the original tests and diagnosed??? Or am I over reacting and is this just normal ageing process.
Thanks in anticipation.

Butter

Jan 19, 2012
NeverNeverLand
It is difficult isn't it. I wonder if your mum would accept a little help with her cleaning? Just two hours a week (that is what my father has) makes all the difference. It also brings someone else into the home which helps. Even one hour would make a difference.

nicoise

Jun 29, 2010
The sad truth is that your mum will decline - but just now her problems are slight - 80 and still living independently, with a bit of a less than perfectly clean home is pretty good going.

I'd not worry about doing anything to her medication on that basis - if things are going pretty well, then a possible improvement in her environment vs a possible bad reaction to a medication change probably isn't worth the risk.

As Butter says, perhaps a little help in the house would both be a help, but would also get her used to the idea of help being a positive thing, especially whilst she is still doing very well; it could also serve as another set of eyes to keep watch over her, and be alerted for changes.