1. Expert Q&A: Benefits - Weds 23 October, 3-4pm

Our next expert Q&A will be on the topic of benefits. It will be hosted by Lauren from our Knowledge Services team. She'll be answering your questions on Wednesday 23 October between 3-4pm.

You can either post your question >here< or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll be happy to ask them on your behalf.

Not sure what is happening

Discussion in 'Middle - later stages of dementia' started by Fluffyduck217, May 22, 2015.

1. Fluffyduck217

Fluffyduck217 Registered User

May 22, 2015
    Hello This is my first post. My Mum has had dementia for nearly five years, she lived on her own with help from carers until last summer when she kept wandering out at night so I took the huge decision to have her home with me and give up work to look after her until Christmas, when her mood swings and demands where very difficult and she became increasingly immobile. She is now in a care home where she settled quickly but became very vocal, shouting all the time and not always nice things! Anyway she was admitted to hospital on Tues this week with a nasty UTI, had intravenous antibiotics for 48 hours and is now clear but she is still in hospital not eating or cooperating with anything or anyone, she screams when the nurses do anything for her and in my opinion seems to have given up. Is this possible? I am trying to speak to the doctor today. Thanks.x

2. Tin

Tin Registered User

May 18, 2014
    UK
    Dear Fluffyduck, Sad isn't it, but she probably hasn't given up, ranting and shouting at staff is all part of her Dementia. At this time being treated for infection if she was at the care home or in your home she would probably be doing exactly the same. That's what I think anyway. Give her and yourself some time.

3. Jackie3

Jackie3 Registered User

Nov 27, 2012
    Oldham
    My mum has late stage dementia and has been bedbound for 15 months. Prior to this she has been through similar episodes to this. Infection does strange things to people and those with dementia react badly. Once the infection is cleared she may settle down. There are various stages in dementia and my mum also went through an aggressive stage when she would shout, scream and lash out. We put it down to frustration that she is unable to communicate what she wants to say. We found that distraction worked quite well but the best thing we found was music. Listening to music especially familiar music has a calming effect. I doubt your mum has given up. Most likely a combination of the infection and frustration associated with her dementia. Also being in unfamiliar surroundings is confusing and will add to her anxiety.

4. Fluffyduck217

Fluffyduck217 Registered User

May 22, 2015
    Thank you for your comments. It is so upsetting to watch the decline of somebody you care for. The hospital have said there is not anything medically they can do for Mum but her Care Home wont have her back because of her incapacity to help herself. That's something I now have to investigate as I thought the point of her being in a home was because of that reason!

5. katek

katek Registered User

Jan 19, 2015
    #5 katek, May 23, 2015
    Last edited: May 23, 2015