Not support but hopefully inspirational

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
Yesterday my husband and I went to hear a woman called Amanda Wootton speak. She is 27 years old and tested positive at the age of 19 for the gene for Familial Early Onset Alzheimer's Disease. This means she will definitely develop the disease. No question, no doubts. Her mother was diagnosed at the age of 35 and died at the age of 47. Her mother's four siblings all inherited the gene and all died before the age of 49.

As she spoke, Amanda radiated happiness, positiveness and an enormous love of life. She will be graduating from college in three weeks as a Personal Services Worker, which is the official title here for caregivers in a nursing home. She will be caring for Alzheimer's patients. My eyes kept filling up and they are now.

After her speech, we spoke to her. She kept hugging me. She is beautiful inside and out and I recommend that people visit her website www.alzheimersvoice.com to learn more about her.

Last edited:

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
The story is inspirational Joanne and humbling too. Unfortunately there seems to be an error on the link as I`m unable to get throught to it.
Love xx

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
Reminds me of Dawkin's 'Selfish Gene' ...... seems some people who have little or no hope for themselves (of longevity at least) are gifted extra 'selfless genes' to inspire others ..

Karen, x

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Thank you for the story Joanne.

You must consider yourself so fortunate to have been able to hear her speak. Makes me feel very humble just thinking about her situation.