Not sleeping well

Kermit1974

Feb 9, 2020
My 67yr old mum, was diagnosed about 3yrs ago. She doesn’t sleep well at all. Maybe sleeps for couple of hours then is up and un settled. Been to GP whom said no to sleeping tablets and when I asked for any suggestions his reply was no not really!! Any advice?x

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @Kermit1974 you are welcome here and I hope you find the forum to be a friendly and supportive place.

It may be worth having another chat with the GP. Depression and anxiety are common bedfellows of dementia and they can disturb sleep. If your mum's general attitude indicates that this may be an issue some meds for these conditions can be a great help with sleep. My wife suffers with these conditions as well as her dementia and a specific anti depressant has helped greatly with her sleep over these past months.

I hope you have time to take a good look around the site as it is a goldmine for information. When I first joined I read old threads for information but then found the AS Publications list and the page where a post code search can be done to check for support services in ones own area. If you are interested in these, clicking the following links will take you there

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/get-support/publications-factsheets-full-list

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/find-support-near-you

You will see that there are Factsheets that will help with things like getting care needs assessments, deciding the level of care required and sorting out useful things like Wills, Power of Attorney etc., if any of that hasn't already been done. There is also a Dementia Guide in the list.

Now that you have found us I hope you will keep posting as the membership has vast collective knowledge and experience.

Kermit1974

Feb 9, 2020
Hi there
Thank you for your advice..I’ll have a good nosy around on the site and have a read of the fact sheets.

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
This has been a very helpful post to read as my OH has all the sleep issues of sleeping during the day and not at night. Interesting to read that taking donepesle at evening meal rather than at bed time might help and will be trying this today and the rest of the week to see if it does, thank you.

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
This has been a very helpful post to read as my OH has all the sleep issues of sleeping during the day and not at night. Interesting to read that taking donepesle at evening meal rather than at bed time might help and will be trying this today and the rest of the week to see if it does, thank you.
Quite often, doctors are reluctant to prescribe sleeping pills for many patients with dementia because it may increase the risk of falls. Just a thought.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Sometimes sleeping pills do not work because the problem is not insomnia - its the breakdown of the normal sleeping rhythms

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
Quite often, doctors are reluctant to prescribe sleeping pills for many patients with dementia because it may increase the risk of falls. Just a thought.
I agree as it is worrying enough that she gets up in early hours but, being deaf I don’t hear her and a fall while confused could be catastrophic

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JL513