Not self-funded

jack29

Mar 8, 2008
Sorry if this has been asked before but I could not find much on people that are not self-funded.
Will Dad now just get the basic state pension and then have to pay it all except £20 to the nursing home?
Thanks

hendy

Feb 20, 2008
West Yorkshire
Dear Jack
I'm not sure, perhaps the social worker is the one who can tell you about the funding aspect, or perhaps someone later on will be able to give you more info.
How did things work out with Dads nursing home, did you manage to get him into one nearer home?
take care
hendy

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Will Dad now just get the basic state pension and then have to pay it all except £20 to the nursing home?

also if he get AA on top of basic state pension & pension credit it all go to NH and he keeps £20 a week

so Yes your right .

Clive

Nov 7, 2004
Hi Jack

Everyone has to pay for their Care Home. This is when you realise that the Welfare State is not what you thought it was.

If you have saved more than £20,500 you are charged the full bill, and there are legal restraints to stop you spending your money in other ways (both before you go into the Care Home and once you are in the Care Home)..

If you have less than £13,000 in house and savings you have to give up all your pension etc and you are allowed to keep £20 to spend on the necessities of life.

If Social Services have done an assessment it is best to ask them to explain exactly what is going to happen.

Many of us think it is very unfair.

Best wishes

Clive

Sandy

Mar 23, 2005
Hi Jack,

That sounds like the way the system works, as far as I understand it.

You might just want to check out the Alzheimer's Society's factsheet: http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/factsheet/468

You could always ring the Alzheimer's Society Helpline if you have more questions.

Any savings below £13,000 will be ignored. Also, if your father was able to get NHS Continuing Care (see http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/site/scripts/documents_info.php?categoryID=200203&documentID=399 for more details) then the NHS would pick up all the costs. There are other people on TP who have managed to get this type of funding, so it is possible under the right circumstances - though usually you have to make the case (strongly).

Take care,

Sandy

jack29

Mar 8, 2008
Dear Jack
I'm not sure, perhaps the social worker is the one who can tell you about the funding aspect, or perhaps someone later on will be able to give you more info.
How did things work out with Dads nursing home, did you manage to get him into one nearer home?
take care
hendy
Hi hendy
No did not find Dad a place nearer to home. So although the stress of caring for him has been lifted I am now trying to visit as often as possible. I have my own family, a full-time job and a part-time job so having to travel so far is causing some stress.

Thanks everyone for your replies re the pension payments.
Dad was transfered to the nursing home direct from hospital. I told the SS team that he was not self funding and they said his case would go to panel...which it did and funding was approved I was also told that he was approved for continuing care.SS told me someone from their dept would be in contact to check his savings and check what pension/benefits he gets but I have not heard anything yet. Would just be good to know how much and when and how we should pay anything to the nursing home.

I have contacted the DWP and I am applying to be Dad's appointee so I am hopefull that may help to make the payments to the nursing home.

taylorcat

Jun 18, 2006
W.Scotland
Jack, the DWP came to visit me and made me my Mum's appointee for her pension. Mum's pension is paid directly into my bank account every week and nothing goes to the home. They are well aware she is in a home. I have queried it and I have been told this is a state pension my Mum contributed to and she is entitled to it.

Sandy

Mar 23, 2005
Hi Jack,

You might want to take a look at the PDF document listed at the bottom of this page on the Department of Health web site:

http://www.dh.gov.uk/en/Publicationsandstatistics/Publications/PublicationsPolicyAndGuidance/DH_082482

It lists how state benefits will be treated once a person received continuing care funding. It appears that some benefits, like attendance allowance, are stopped after 28 days. Others, like state pesnion and pension credit, continue to be paid to the individual and are not claimed by the care home.

You might want to contact the Alzheimer's Society Helpline on 0845 300 0336 just to talk it through.

Take care,

Sandy

Clive

Nov 7, 2004
Hi Jack

If your dad has been approval for NHS Continuing Healthcare (rather than Social Services funding) this is good news (from a financial point of view) and an advantage for your family. Many of us whose loved ones are already in a Care Home are trying to get the NHS to agree to pay Continuing Healthcare but it seems to be much more difficult to arrange once you have been in a Care Home for some time.

As Sandy’s post said there is good table of information on the Department of Health web site.

If once you have got everything settled you could share your experience with us in a post we will be very grateful.

When your dad’s case was put before the Panel they will have given him a health score. They will have assessed eleven health areas (each called a domain). To qualify for NHS Continuing Healthcare you must be rated with one Priority domains or two Severe or possible four or six High domains… or some such mix that the Panel think is appropriate.

If once you have got everything sorted out for your dad you could post his NHS Continuing Healthcare score (if they have told you) it would be of great interest to those of us who are battling with the NHS as we can establish what score is needed for the NHS to take responsibility.

Thanks and Best wishes

Clive

Last edited:

jack29

Mar 8, 2008
Hi Jack,

You might want to take a look at the PDF document listed at the bottom of this page on the Department of Health web site:

http://www.dh.gov.uk/en/Publicationsandstatistics/Publications/PublicationsPolicyAndGuidance/DH_082482

It lists how state benefits will be treated once a person received continuing care funding. It appears that some benefits, like attendance allowance, are stopped after 28 days. Others, like state pesnion and pension credit, continue to be paid to the individual and are not claimed by the care home.

You might want to contact the Alzheimer's Society Helpline on 0845 300 0336 just to talk it through.

Take care,

Sandy

Thanks for the info Sandy...that link is really useful.

And Clive I will be happy to update you and the msg board memebers as soon as I have any info.

jack29

Mar 8, 2008
Spoke to SS this morning. They have agreed to pay Dad's nursing home fees..the "Benchmark" bed cost...whatever that is ?!He does not qualify for NHS continuing healthcare.
They are sending someone to see me so they can do a financial assessment to see what Dad has to pay from his pension. I said that I thought all of his pension except £20 had to be paid and the SS worker said she did not think it would be anywhere near that much. I suppose I will just have to wait until they assess his finances.:confused:

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Spoke to SS this morning. They have agreed to pay Dad's nursing home fees..the "Benchmark" bed cost...whatever that is ?!He does not qualify for NHS continuing healthcare.

Jack, the benchmark figure is what the LA is prepared to pay for a fully-funded bed in a care home. Usually this is way below the figure the homes charge self-funders.

Sometimes the home will accept this amount (and make up the difference by overcharging self-funders:eek:), but some homes will ask the family for a top-up to make up the difference.

So depending on whether or not you can afford (or are prepared to pay) the top-up, your choice of home may be restricted.

I'm sorry, I can't help on the pension, that might also have a bearing on which home you choose.

Sorry about the continuing care, that seems to be rarer than hens' teeth!

jack29

Mar 8, 2008
Hi Hazel,

Well Dad is already in the nursing home so they must have accepted the benchmark figure.

Whatever he has to pay of his pension is not a problem but I would like to get it sorted so we dont get a huge bill for him to pay.

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Sorry, Jack, I'd forgotten that. It's unusual (in my experience) for someone to be transferred to a NH before the finances are sorted out. We had to wait for the panel to meet to approve the placement.

It sounds as if you're right, that have accepted the benchmark figure.

Good luck with the assessment.