Not married but living together

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
My partner and I live in a house I rent from my daughter and I am responsible for general repairs and upkeep. My partner, who has Alzheimer’s, and I have a joint account but separate accounts where our pensions are paid into and money transferred out on an agreed basis for bills etc. These go into the joint account or savings (we have separate but modest savings). How will this affect care assessments when given? Assessment not asked for yet and we are both in late 70s.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
That is a slightly complicated situation Agzy. Have you tried the Dementia Helpline on 0300 222 11 22, open on to Wed 9 to 8, Thurs and Fri 9-5 and weekends 10-4. AgeUK are pretty good at going through the process with you, too.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
Her assessment will be based on all in her own name plus half of the joint account. That is exactly how our affairs are arranged and there was no problem.

Bod

Aug 30, 2013
I would say you have a simple arrangement. All monies are clearly separate, except for the joint account, which is subject to an agreed basis.
The house is rented, so no financial assessment interest there.
The only difficulty I see, would be, could you manage in that house, with only your income?
The partners, would go fully for their Care costs, should the Local Authorities be involved.

Bod

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
I also don't think it's very complicated and the fact you are not married doesn't matter in the slightest for any financial assessment, as you won't be assessed anyway - it's your partner's money that counts, and 50% of any joint account.

However, if you don't have LPA yet, please arrange it urgently so you can deal with your partner's finances and protect the joint account from being frozen if ever the bank has suspicions about mental capacity.

Last edited:

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
Thank you all, I do have LPA for both care and finance but wasn't sure about the rest. I can now try to make some rough calculations about needs and costs.